New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA 8400 loops and speeds FOR ADVANCED

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tsvetan
Occasional Advisor

EVA 8400 loops and speeds FOR ADVANCED

Hi all,

I have to deside is it appropriate to configure FATA disks to separate loop and the 15kps disks to another 2 loops, or to mix all disk types in all the 3 loops?
Should the performance change or not?
I think that would be better to separete the slower disks to one loop, but...not sure
please advise
5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

A FATAl disk does not slow down loops - they always run at the same speed, but it can block valuable cache memory when it cannot write I/Os to media fast enough. One possible workaround is to disable write caching for the virtual disks on a FATAl disk group...
or avoid those disks completely.
Tsvetan
Occasional Advisor

"cannot write I/Os to media fast enough" - doesn't this mean that the speed of the loop is afected by this?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

No, a Fibre Channel Arbitrated Loop on the EVA-x400 transfers complete frames with 400 MegaBytes/second. The disk drives buffer complete frames after read from/before writing to the media, because this speed is slower.
Tsvetan
Occasional Advisor

If I understand you correctly I should use the 3 loops with mixed disk type instead of separete FATA and FC loops?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Yes, one should always equally distribute all disk drives from all disk groups (be it FC or FATAl) across all loops/enclosures.