108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA 8K partition alignment needed?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Louis Henninger_1
Regular Advisor

EVA 8K partition alignment needed?

My apologies if this is a duplicate posting...
We purchased two EVA5000's 3 + years ago. About 18 months ago, we upgraded the EKA5Ks to EVA8Ks, using the "data in place" migration plan as per HP. We are running Windows 2k3 servers with the EVAs. We are having some performance issues, and questions have come up about partition alignment (64K) on the virtual disks. I was not present during the install, but it was done by HP. The EVA5000 were running 3.014 before updating to 3.028 VCS.My question is three fold:
1.Is there anyway to check the partition alignments on the VDisks?
2. If the VDisks were misaligned when created under 3.028, wouldn't they still be misaligned even after going to EVA8K and XCS 6.00. This would only pertain to the disks created before the migration, correct?
3. If #2 is in play, the only way to correct this is to use DISKPART to set the alignment, format disk and restore all data back to EACH VDisk in question?

Thanks in advance,

Louis
2 REPLIES 2
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

1. Sure:

C:\> diskpart
DISKPART> list disk
DISKPART> select disk N (e.g. 1)
DISKPART> list partition

2. Yes. The EVA is a pure block server and does not know what a partition table is.
Why do you think that partitions created on the EVA8K are not 'misaligned'? The offset is calculated by the partition utility (unless you explicitly change it) and not by the EVA.

3. Well, you could increase the vdisk by 1 GByte unless it is already at the max and then move the data by a few blocks to make room for the offset.

But, as far as I can tell, there is no 'official, supported' utility to do that.