1748176 Members
4438 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA Disk add

Suzi Fischman
Frequent Advisor

EVA Disk add

I have been tasked to add 18 disk new disks to an EVA8400 and was told to add the disks 1 at a time. Does anyone know why there is this requirement?

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Each disk has to power up and do the initialization sequence in order to get connected to the internal loop and recognized by the controllers. Too many loop resets and login sequences at the same time may cause a delay or other problems.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

... this means, insert a disk, wait a minute and insert the next. Once all are inserted, add them all together to a diskgroup.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Agree with the loop disruptions, but I would wait until the new disk drive is visible in CV-EVA and then proceed with the next drive.

Some manuals have claimed that you could plug in up to 4 drives at once (how you do that with two hands is a mystery to me ;-)

If you insert disks too fast, there is a good chance that CV-EVA assigns the same name (e.g. Disk 033) to two different drives. This results in display inconsistencies (e.g. one drive is not shown in some places).

In the past I've found a number of EVA systems with multiple duplicate disk drive names.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

I've seen that disks with same name - but that disk name in Command View can be changed manually afterwards. It takes a little extra time to wait between adding each disk but might be a good idea to make sure there aren't any loop issues or so after adding a disk.