New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA SAN monitoring

SOLVED
Go to solution
ilse
Occasional Contributor

EVA SAN monitoring

Hi,

I am currently working on a project to monitor our entire companies network, and would like to add our EVA SAN to it. I have already tried searching for plugins (I am currently using Opsview, which has the Nagios monitoring engine) but I can't seem to find any. Usually I stumble upon forums that tell me to use evaperf, is this the only way? If anyone could provide me with information regarding the monitoring of EVA SAN that would be greatly appreciated (Existing plugins or OIDs to obtain information regarding disk space, performance etc are also welcome).

Thank you in advance.
Ilse
6 REPLIES 6
Matt Palmer_2
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hi,

If you want to develop your own Nagios plugins, you could use SSSU scripts combined with Nagios NRPE to extract 'thresholds' that you want to set personally.

It really depends on how much time you have to administer something like this. I know that if you install the WBEM management tools on your CV EVA appliance server, there are various other tools you can use.

One of your other options may be to setup an SNMP trapsink to receive SNMP traps sent from the EVA, this would mean that it would use its own logic, without you having to reinvent the wheel

hope that helps

regards

Matt
Matt Palmer_2
Respected Contributor

Hi again,

one other thing is if you have a central logging server, you could install the Windows Syslog daemon on the CV EVA appliance and send CV events to your syslog server if you have one.

regards

Matt
shafeygad
Advisor

Hi

I am Using here EVA8000

And i made some scripts running on HostMonitor application which these scripts run remotely on Linux servers Monitor EVA8000 (VDisk)
These scripts
1-Monitor Diskspace and send alarm if disk space going to 80%
2-Availability of Vdisk
3-Status of Vdisk (writable or not)

If you like it give me your email and i will support you to run these scripts
But in this case you have to use HostMonitor program
Rafiq Ahamed K
Occasional Advisor

I dont know of any plug-in if available. But in general, the best way to monitor the health is through Command View Application and Logs. For performance EVAPerf is ideal application if you know how to collect and read the data.

There are some commercial software available for monitoring the health and collecting performance metrics.

HP Systems Insight Manager 6.0. - HP SIM runs on HP Windows, Linux, and HP-UX and provides discovery and identification, fault management, security administration, asset reporting, and centralized configuration management across heterogeneous storage including EVA.

HP Storage Essentials Performance Edition software - Performance Monitoring Application for EVA/XP.

More details are. http://h18000.www1.hp.com/storage/evaarraysoftware.html

- Rafiq
Marcus Schack
Trusted Contributor

ilse
Occasional Contributor

Thx for all the replies, I havent had time to try all of them though.
Shafeygad, I would really like to see those scripts, I might be able to mix and match with some of the other solutions.