1748138 Members
3663 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA VDisk Question

Brett Barton
Occasional Advisor

EVA VDisk Question

I need to setup storage space on our SAN for a new set of windows servers, requiring approximately 800GB of space for the system drive partitions.

Would it be wise to split this 800GB into multiple groups? For example two 400GB VDISKS, or four 200GB VDISKS?

I am wondering if this could help avoid downtime if a VDISK became "corrupt." However, I am not sure if just one VDISK can become corrupt at a time, or if all the VDISKS on a disk group become corrupted at once.

Thanks
Brett
10 REPLIES 10
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. You want to have an appropriately-sized VDISK for each server's system drive.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

cjb_1
Trusted Contributor

Never experienced a vdisk getting corrupt so may as well have one big disk?

However, your question suggests multiple servers accessing this disk? If that's the case it's probably wiser to provide a vdisk to each and size accordingly as suggested above. Be easier to manage.
Azadeh
Advisor

Best practices don't recommend it. Use RAID 10 if you are worried about your data.
Regards
cjb_1
Trusted Contributor

No raid-10 on an eva.. The data protection is pretty good though, you'ld need multiple disk failures in specific rss's before you got worried.
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

vRAID1 *is* RAID-10 everywhere else. The span is across all the physical disks *in* the selected disk group.

-----
Don't forget to rate the usefulness/quality of *all* responses to (not just this but *all* of) your question(s).

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Always recommended to create a single vdisk for the single server.

If you have multiple server, yes it is good to have multiple vdisks for each server.

Again at the same time, in cluster environment you can present the same LUN to different servers as a shared storage.

Never think about the data corruption.

When the Vdisk presented to the server, after that need to create physical volume, logical volume and then file system. So if data corruption happened that should be in the file system level.

EVA virtualization came to reduce these circumstances.

Even entire disk enclosure failure also can't make the EVA down. That's y RSS concept is great here.

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Brett Barton
Occasional Advisor

I forgot one important detail. The LUN is presented to our ESX cluster. From there we create a datastore on the 800GB LUN.

So my question should be should I break the 800GB into multiple VDISKs so that I dont "have all my eggs in one basket." Except, instead of eggs, they are VMWare .vmdk files.

Sorry!
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Yes, that *is* an important detail!

See the technical paper http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=4AA1-2185ENW.pdf

You may want to search for:
best practices EVA VMware vSphere

Accept or Kudo

users_storage

Can you help me out max vdisk size we can present to single windows host?

@Sheldon Smith wrote:
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. You want to have an appropriately-sized VDISK for each server's system drive.