New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA renumbering enclosures

SOLVED
Go to solution
Cruchot
Occasional Advisor

EVA renumbering enclosures

Hi all,

I have an EVA 6100 2C4D on a customer site.
This one has been very bad cabled at the installation 2 years ago : the enclosures ID are 6,7,8,9 with the Y cable of the controllers on id 5 (this is correct)
Now, I mut install a fifth enclosure but I can only plug the short EMU cable on id 10 or 1

I have 3 choices :
1/ Plug the cable in the 1st ID, but will it work ? As there won't be continuity because nothing is plugged on ID 2,3,4 ?
2/ Plug the cable in the 10th ID, but will it work ? As an EVA6100 only supports 8 enclosures, so it give 8ID + CTRL ID = 9 for the MAX ID, not 10.
3/ Reinstall correctly the EMU cable and renumber all the enclosures ? This is my preferred choice but is it destructive ??? I'm not sure that changing the enclosures ID won't destroy all the EVA config. Do you have an experience on it ?

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Regards
10 REPLIES 10
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

AFAIK recabling the cabinet bus is possible. But you have to take the EVA down. You will not losing any data.

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Yes, it's possible, but it really, really should be done offline. As with all hardware modifications, save the EVA configuration with SSSU and take a full data backup.

And the cabling really, really should match the technical specifications from the vendor. Otherwise, support has a nice argument for exiting problem cases.
ess
Super Advisor

Hi Uwe Zessin
how to the EVA configuration with SSSU and take a full data backup?
i study the document sssu but not useful.
if any document with explain step-by-step.
tanks.
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi
SSSU can only do a CONFIGURATION backup and ***NOT*** data.
SSSU command is "capture config".
If you wish to backup the data, as suggested, then you will need to use an appropriate backup solution for the OS concerned with the backup media you currently use.
Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
Amar_Joshi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Cruchot,
To answer the original question, you can use option1 (add new shelf at enc.ID#1). It will work though you don't have anything on 2, 3, 4.

Option2 is not recommended.

Option3 is the best choice because soon or later you will have to correct the cabling.
Cruchot
Occasional Advisor

Thanks all for your answers

I agree with you on everything : choice 3 is the best.
As I understand, your advice is to process with the EVA powered off.
But, do you think it's really great chances to keep the datas on EVA, as we all know the restore process is NEVER completely safe ...

regards.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Yes, there is a very high chance that data stays intact. I did succesfully do address changes on EVA-4000 systems.

I even shut down one EVA4000, removed all disk drives and put them aside, because I needed the controllers and disk drive enclosures for a different project.
Later, I put the disk drives into new hardware and all data was still there. The controllers did even have slightly newer firmware...
Cruchot
Occasional Advisor

Thanks all
You've been very helpful once again.

Nicolas
Cruchot
Occasional Advisor

Closed