7129 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA throughput

Oscar_Maim├│
Regular Advisor

EVA throughput

Hi:
When technical papers says that EVA8000 controllers may have "around 360MB/s or less per port, read or write", it means that a port may have 360 MB/s of read traffic and 360 MB/s of write traffic, at the same time? or one at a time?
Maybe my confusion is because of translation
Any help?
3 REPLIES 3
chris huys_4
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I dont think eva8000 controllers have 8Gbit front end fc hba's. So that would be a "xor" "or". ;)

I.e. with 4Gbit front end fc hba's the max throughput is 360MB/sec, 360MB/sec read (exclusive) or 360MB/sec write.

Greetz,
Chris
Oscar_Maim├│
Regular Advisor

but:
However Fibre Channel is full-duplex. 4 Gbps has the capability, the bandwidth...I don't understand why the 360 MBps are exclusive to one operation, or the sum of two them a time.
Since FC is full-duplex i could have 360 MB/s in writes and 360 MB/s in reads, couldn't I?
chris huys_4
Honored Contributor

> However Fibre Channel is full-duplex
FC encapsulates a scsi protocol, in scsi there is no talk about full duplex, thats a ethernet thing. There is just a certain throughput. 4gbit fc interface, equals to 4000Mbit interface, divided by 10, as its fc, and from the result 10% less, equals to 400Mbyte -10% = 360Mbyte/sec top performance. How the 360Mbyte is reached, 360Mbyte read/sec + 0Mbyte write/sec, or 180Mbyte read/sec + 180Mbyte write/sec or 100Mbyte read/sec + 260Mbyte write/sec , fc doesnt care about.

Greetz,
Chris