1751840 Members
5210 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA3000 SAN configuration and zoning files

Danesh Qureshi
Regular Advisor

EVA3000 SAN configuration and zoning files

I have a EVA3000 and I need to capture the SAN switch configuration of two switches.

The SAN switches are not networked so this will mean connecting my laptop to each SAN switch. Both SAN switches are 2/16 models.

What is the procedure to capture the SAN switch configurations, zoning files,etc,etc.

11 REPLIES 11
Amol Garge
Trusted Contributor

Danesh, use the following command:

ConfigDownload

Downloads switch configuration and other parameters from a host file.
Synopsis configdownload [-p ftp]"host","user","file","passwd"
configdownload -p scp "host","user","file"
configdownload

Description
Use this command to download a switch configuration and other parameters from a host file. The
configuration file may have been generated previously using configUpload, or it may have been
created by a user to download only specific changes. The configDownload command supports DNS names, IPv4, and IPv6 addresses.

NOTE
It is not required to change configuration if one of the CPs is running a version of FOS that does not
support IPv6.

To be able to mention the FTP server by name, you need to setup two DNS servers with dnsConfig.
The first form of this command uses FTP (File Transfer Protocol). The FTP server must be running
before configDownload can happen.

The second form of this command uses SCP, which is a secure file copy tunneled through an SSH
connection. When this form of the command is used, no password should be provided on the
command line. Instead, SCP will prompt for the password if necessary. The SSH service is also
available on Unix and Windows hosts.
Danesh Qureshi
Regular Advisor

Hi Amol,

I have already installed a FTP server on my Windows Vista laptop.

Can you tell me what type of cable I need to connect my laptop to the SAN switch and what port on SAN switch do I connect into?

I am a little confused whether to should use

ConfigDownload or ConfigUpload command to download from the SAN switch to my laptop.

Please could you clarify for me.

Amol Garge
Trusted Contributor

switches should come with a DB9 serial cable.

ConfigDownload is used to save the configuration on the FTP.

ConfigUpload is to upload the saved config on the switch from the FTP server.
Amol Garge
Trusted Contributor

Please use the RJ45 cross cable to connect to the management port on switch and LAN port on your laptop, its easier.
Danesh Qureshi
Regular Advisor

Hello Amol,

I am still not clear which command to use to save the SAN switch config to my laptop.

To save the SAN switch configuration to my laptop do I need to use Configupload?

To load the configuration to the SAN switch from my laptop I need to use Configdownload?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Amol Garge
Trusted Contributor

ConfigDownload is used to save the configuration ON THE LAPTOP.

============================================

ConfigUpload is to upload the configuration INTO THE SWITCH.

Danesh Qureshi
Regular Advisor

Thank you for clarifying the two commands.

Now I need some advice on the following.

I have a MSA1000 has two SAN switches running on firmware version 5.20.

One SAN switch has a fault with it and will be replaced while second SAN switch is working fine.

When the firmware was upgraded on the MSA1000 controllers the SAN switch configuration was not backed up.

So is it possible to save the configuration from the healthy SAN switch and then upload the configuration to the new unconfigured SAN switch?

Before I upload the configuration do I need to make any changes to the configuration before uploading it to the new SAN switch?

Please let me know.
Amol Garge
Trusted Contributor

Danesh,

You are confusing controller firmware with the switch firmware.

MSA1000 controller runs on firmware independent of the switch firmware.

Now, you need to know what was the firmware of the switch from where the configuration was taken and upgrade the new switch to the same firmware version. configupload and you are done.

btw, the 2/8 switches in MSA1000's are extremely small SAN switches, why do so many things?
If I had a chance, I would've created the zones and config from scratch (but, thats me, I like to play with small toys)
Danesh Qureshi
Regular Advisor

Amol, you are correct the MSA1000 controller firmware is completely independent of the SAN switch firmware. Sorry for the confusion on my part.

Yes the MSA1000 does have two small SAN switches. I have saved the configuration of the SAN switch before it became faulty so I will upload the configuration when a replacement SAN switch is put into the MSA1000.

I shall let you know how I got on with uploading SAN switch configutation from the saved configuration on my laptop to the SAN switch.