1748185 Members
4187 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA4000, No FTP option when upgrading switches

Tony Verberk.
Advisor

EVA4000, No FTP option when upgrading switches

I've started a new thread now that the problem seems to have been narrowed down a bit.

I've trying to upgrade a 4/16 Storageworks switch for me EVA4000 and when I run the firmwaredownload command from a telnet session I am not being asked if the server is an FTP server or RSH. If I answer the questions that I'm prompted for the upgrade fails and there is no indication that the ftp server was contacted. If I run a configupload then the switch successfully copies the settings to the ftp server, so the communication path os OK.

The software on the switch is version 5.0.1b, is there a way to set it to use an ftp download when running firmwaredownload?
4 REPLIES 4
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

As far as I can tell, the Linux-based switches don't use the RSH/CAT 'hack' any longer. I have a logfile from an upgrade:

SW1:admin> version
Kernel: 2.4.19
Fabric OS: v5.0.1b
Made on: Wed Aug 17 21:28:18 2005
Flash: Sat May 27 14:22:37 2006
BootProm: 4.5.2
SW1:admin>
SW1:admin> firmwaredownload
You can run firmwareDownloadStatus to get the status
of this command.

This command will cause the switch to reset and will
require that existing telnet, secure telnet or SSH
sessions be restarted.

Do you want to continue [Y]: y
Server Name or IP Address: 10.1.35.17
User Name: z
File Name: v5.1.0d/release.plist
Password:
Firmwaredownload has started.
2006/09/11-12:20:20, [SULB-1001], 29,, WARNING, SilkWorm200E, Firmwaredownload command has started.
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi Tony,

only older switches could use the RSHD option (Versions 2.x.x and 3.x.x)
FTP is the only option for 5.0.x. From 5.2.x or higher (I think), you can also use SCP

But looking at your last thread, my guess is that the problem has something to do with your FTP server. What one are you using?
When you did your configupload, what path/filename did you type in, and where did that file end up on your FTP server?

Regards,
Stephen
Tony Verberk.
Advisor

I've tried both a Linux FTP server and a Windows FTP server. The log files show no attempt to login from the switch (only checking the Windows server), however if I ftp to the servers from my workstation they show the login attempt, so it's acting as if it is not reaching the server, not that it can't find the file. (I've gone through the file location issue in another thread which lead me to think that it's simply not using the ftp protocol).

Regardless, here's what I have at the moment. A Windows 2003 ftp server with a home directory for me. It is located under:

C:\Inetpub\ftproot\LocalUser\tonyv

Under this directory I have a folder called v5.1.0d, which contains all the upgrade files. When I run the configupload command my config file ends up as:

C:\Inetpub\ftproot\LocalUser\tonyv\config.txt

After logging into my switch this is what I get with a version, configupload and firmwaredownload:

Fabric OS (swd77)

swd77 login: admin
Password:
swd77:admin> version
Kernel: 2.4.19
Fabric OS: v5.0.1b
Made on: Wed Aug 17 21:28:18 2005
Flash: Thu Dec 1 16:28:15 2005
BootProm: 4.5.2
swd77:admin> configupload
Protocol (scp or ftp) [ftp]: ftp
Server Name or IP Address [host]:
User Name [user]: tonyv
File Name [config.txt]: config.txt
Password:
Upload complete
swd77:admin> firmwaredownload
You can run firmwareDownloadStatus to get the status
of this command.

This command will cause the switch to reset and will
require that existing telnet, secure telnet or SSH
sessions be restarted.

Do you want to continue [Y]: Y
Server Name or IP Address:
User Name: tonyv
File Name: /v5.1.0d/release.plist
Password:
Firmwaredownload has started.
Firmwaredownload failed. (0x12) Cannot access package list (.plist) file.
swd77:admin>

If I ftp into my ftp server and do a directory scan I get the following:

Connected to .
220-Microsoft FTP Service
220 This is a (relatively) public ftp server. Files stored here are insecure an
d should not be left here long.
User (:(none)): tonyv
331 Password required for tonyv.
Password:
230-Welcome.
230 User tonyv logged in.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.

config.txt
v5.1.0d

226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 21 bytes received in 0.00Seconds 21000.00Kbytes/sec.
ftp> cd v5.1.0d
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.
apache-1.3.31-7.ppc.rpm
autofs-3.1.7-1.ppc.rpm
bash-2.04-5.ppc.rpm
binutils-2.10.1-1.ppc.rpm
binutils-libs-2.10.1-1.ppc.rpm
bootenv-1.0.2-5.ppc.rpm
bzip-1.0.1-1.ppc.rpm
chkconfig-1.0.0-5.ppc.rpm

SWBD34 (Directory containing release.plist)

226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 3697 bytes received in 0.03Seconds 119.26Kbytes/sec.
ftp>

I cut out a bunch of files and directories, let me know if you need to see the whole list of 226 items.

I just checked something else, if I ftp to the Windows ftp server from my Windows WS it logs the attempt in the security log. When I do a configupload from the switch it doesn't show the login, but the file is being created. Perhaps I just don't have enough auditing options turned on. In any event, this shoots down my theory that the switch wasn't even attempting to login to the ftp server, since that was based on no login attempt showing up in the log file.

Back to square 1.

I'm currently re-copying the files to the Linux FTP server to give that another try.
Tony Verberk.
Advisor

Oh dear. I setup my Linux FTP server again (by set I mean that I copied the files over to) in order to try and capture more information during the ftp login attempt. I set the options to log the necessary information in the /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf file and then I did a configupload. It showed the login attempt and file transer. Good, I thought to myself, now I can get some info on what's going wrong.

I typed the firmwaredownload command, filled in the necessary information and waited for it to fail.

It didn't fail.

I really wasn't looking to do this in the middle of the day with users logged onto the financial system that is running on the SAN.

In any event, it looks like it upgraded successfully without interuption to my users, so the next step will be to upgrade the second switch and then repeat the process to get up to version 5.3.0.

There had to be a problem with the ftp server or file location.