3584 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA4400 Controller failure swap ...

jsrb96
Occasional Advisor

EVA4400 Controller failure swap ...

Hi All,

I have to swap the #1 controller out in my EVA and read that I could run into firmware/software issues, upgrade or downgrade. It did state if I powered it off so it may be a mute point but I have not done it before so. I highly doubt the controller I'll swap it with will match, so is there a procedure I can follow to eliminate this? Is it as easy as hot swapping and no worries?  If the controller I swap it with already has memory should I swap it too? The manual is a little hazy, or maybe I'm a little hazy.

TIA,

J

10 REPLIES 10
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi,

http://h20464.www2.hp.com/index.html

has a video how to replace the controller.

If you're hazy I suggest that you take a nap.

In the EVA4400 manuals there is a document called "HP StorageWorks Controller Enclosure 4Gb Array Controller Replacement Instructions (631505-001, August 2010)".

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=3664763

Check it out, it's quite useful.

For example, it says that controllers are warm-swappable (so not hot-swappable) meaning you should turn it off.
It also says " Replacement controllers do not have DIMM modules, therefore the
DIMMs from the controller being removed must be transferred to the
replacement controller".

Does that answer your questions?
jsrb96
Occasional Advisor

Thank you!

Of course the replacement controller just failed so ..... here we go again.

A nap would be nice.

J

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

OK, did you find out why you needed to replace the controller? It's actually quite rare for the controller to break.

jsrb96
Occasional Advisor

Actually no, it dropped the host fiber connection. All the testing pointed toward the controller but now the second one is acting up as well, in the same manner, shortly after the swap. I have checked the HBA and it links up on both ports to controller 2 but not controller 1. The cables and gbics have been swapped to verify functionality as well. Could the EVA Chassis actually have a bad slot?

Thank you,

J

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

It could be the midplane yes.

And you're sure it's not the HBA?

jsrb96
Occasional Advisor

Well, ... I get a link light and driver respose if I swap the cable on the HBA to the other controller.

Tx,

J

jsrb96
Occasional Advisor

Swapped the HBA with a brand new one. Failure is now on the second HBA port. One thing I noticed which I could not find in the documentation is anything about the second address on the FP's there is a wwn and then under it lists a 00-00-**, ** being the differentiator. On controller 1 FP1 it is 00-00-00 and on controller 2 FP2 it is 00-00-00. The other FP's are different.

Just pulling at strings now.

I'm using a single ah401a to connect to the EVA.

Thanks again, ...

J

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

>>>Failure is now on the second HBA port.

So now the problem follows the second port on the HBA even if you swap the controller ports/cables/SFPs?

Do you have 'fabric' or 'direct connect' configured on the host ports?

Maybe you need to set equivalent settings on the HBA too?

Don't know about those second addresses.

jsrb96
Occasional Advisor

Well, I may have found an issue ... the RX6600 quickspecs state the PCIe card cage is not supported on hpux 11i v3 but I cannot find anyone to confirm or deny as of yet ....

Installed a 3rd card in another slot and it worked for three hours then both links went down to the eva.

Thanks again,

J