1754020 Members
7277 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA4400: Requested

LSoriano

EVA4400: Requested

Hi,

I have EVA4400 with 8 X 300GB disks. 1 disk failed. I change the disk then ADD the disk to the Disk Group (using the Add disk on Disk Group Properties). The leveling completes but received below message:

Operational State : Attention
Protection Level -Single
Actual Protection-NONE (Requested level not available).

I also notice the total capacity of the my Disk Group increases. I want to replace the failed disk not to put additional disk.

Thank you in advance.
7 REPLIES 7
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Wait until leveling finishes. If you have VRAID 1 vdisks, when the disk group went down to 7 disks, the 7th disk cannot be used to store RAID 1 data, so it was migrated to the other disks. This made the disk group be more full tan before, so there's no enough space to have "disk drive failure protection" = Single.

Once you replace the disk and the disk group does leveling you should go back to the previous data distribution.
LSoriano

Hi vcespon,

The leveling is already finished. But i'm getting the Attention message.

Is there any difference between ADD DISK option in Disk Group properties and the GROUP option in Hardware\Disk properties when replacing a faulty disk?

Now the 8th disk adds up to the DG (the Disk group total capacity increased), How can i retrieve my 8th disk and install it as a replacement of the faulty disk?

Regards,
Louie
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

I'm a little lost.

The disk group had 8 disks
One failed
You replaced that disk

So now the disk group has 8 disks again

The available capacity has increased because you now have "disk drive failure protection" = None, so no space is reserved

But after replacing the disk and leveling finished you should go back to the same used space as before. Sometimes after one leveling the used space changes a litle and if the disk group was filled to 99%, now the free space could be a little less.
LSoriano

Hi vcespon,

Sorry if this confuses you.

After replacing the 8th disk and leveling completed, im expecting the EVA should go back to original state with Protection level = Single but it doesnt. Instead the total capacity increased by 300Gb (the size of 1 disk) and im getting the Attention message.

Attached is a snapshot of the message.

Regards
Neil Cummings
Occasional Advisor

Keep in mind you will need at least 600GB free for single level to kick in again since it reserves 2 x the capacity of the largest disk - your disks being 300GB.

Try to free up sufficient space (maybe there are some old snapshots) in order to ensure that even once a disk is ungrouped, single level protection is still available.

You can then try to ungroup another (or the same)disk and re-group it again. Allow the leveling process to complete each time.
LSoriano

Thanks Neil. Now it make sense, that i need more disk space to raise the protection level to Single. I failed to notice that i dont have much disk space...

Now, planning to install more disks...

Dusan Stefanovic
Frequent Advisor

Hello

Did you resolve this problem, and how ?
Does anybody also has same situacion.

Regards