1753742 Members
5007 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA4400 c7000 Boot-from-SAN

none123
Occasional Contributor

EVA4400 c7000 Boot-from-SAN

Here is the problem I'm having. I configured the SAN and am attempting to configure a blade in the bladecenter to access the SAN so that I can install software on it. The goal is to have a Boot-from-SAN setup. There are no local HDs in the blades.

On the Blade I:
Configured the QLogic HBA settings exactly as both VMware, QLogic, and HP recommend. Basically that entails enabling the HBA and doing a Fibre scan to look for devices.

On the SAN I:
Created a Disk Group. Created a VDisk. Created a Host. Presented the VDisk to the Host using the WWPN that the QLogic BIOS displayed.

On the Cisco 9124e SAN Switch I:
Connected to it with Cisco Device Manager. Enabled all the 4GB Fibre ports in back. Verified that the two External ports (going to the SAN Controllers) are in VSAN1 along with Bay1 (Blade1). Verified that the two external ports and the Bay1 port are turned on and LinkStatus is OK. The switch is seeing small amounts of traffic to/from Bay1.

The EVA WCOP confirms that the SAN Management Card can communicate with the SAN Storage Processors, Disks, and SAN Switch.

Hardware:
BladeCenter: HP c7000-series
Blade HBAs: QLogic 2462
SAN: HP EVA4400
SAN Switches: Cisco 9124e
6 REPLIES 6
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Ok, so what is the problem?

You explained the environment.. but gave no details on what problem you are experiencing.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
none123
Occasional Contributor

Sorry, the problem is that when I run the Fibre device scan within the QLogic HBA BIOS it does not find anything.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Just to make sure...

Did you create a zone/zoneset on the Cisco switch(es)? By default, Cisco switches do no allow any devices to talk to each other until you configure zoning.

Did you go into the Boot Device selection and try to scan from there?

Confirm that you have the right WWID associated in the host profile on the EVA.

Did you reboot the server at all after you enabled the bios on the hba?

What XCS is the EVA running?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

check you zoning. You should see, without an presentation from the EVA, the control luns of the EVA due a fibre scan. If you see noting, it's possible that you zoning isn't setup properly.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Sivakumar MJ._1
Respected Contributor

1.Check the zoning.. If you have done the zoning check you have activated the zoning..

2.Check your zoning is done correctly from the correct initiator(HBA port) to the correct target (host port of the EVA)
Sivakumar MJ._1
Respected Contributor

Check the outputs and try

#show flogi database

#show fcns database

#show zoneset active

----------------------
To activate a zoneset

#zoneset activate name vsan

----------------------