4427 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

EVA4400 controller FC port speed

Twatchai Saelao
Occasional Advisor

EVA4400 controller FC port speed

Hi all,
I have 2 EVA4400 (1 Controller, 4 Disk Encloser)
FC disk 32 units (300 GB, speed 15,000)
FATA disk 6 units (1 TB, speed 7500)
ISL (Inter link between DC and DR site 4 Gbps FC 2 link)
Sync replication by sync mode

I monitor on SAN switch on SAN controller port at DC and DR site. It just send/receive around 50 Mbps (Port speed is 4 Gbps). Sometime, I see it shoot up to 150 Mbps but just short time.

I ask HP engineer. He tell me because it is IO speed which calculate from HDD FC units which just around that speed. It is correct?
I still have question while have short time which shoot up to 150 Mbps.

Anyone please help me for this. Thank you.
5 REPLIES 5
Sivaramakrishna_1
Honored Contributor

Re: EVA4400 controller FC port speed

Hi,

First thing is that in Sync Mode Performace will be less as the Source EVA has to get the ack from dest EVA(Write will be 2 times:- 1st EVA has to Write then transfer to 2nd EVA and ack back to 1st EVA and EVA send the IO Complete to Host)

Controller Port IO Depend on the host IO which is coming to EVA. More over Most of the systems with multipath enabled IO will be sent to all the Ports, so generally it is common in varying the IOs at Controller Port.

Best Method is to analyse the EVA Perf Data if you feel about any performace.

I think IO At controller Port level will not be any relation to The Number of Disks in EVA. The Other Parameters like Queue Depth and Busies only will come to picture if that port is not able to handle the Load which is taking by controller.
Twatchai Saelao
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for advise

I monitor on controller port which connect to SAN switch. It show around 50 Mpbs all time. Just have a few time which can up to 150 Mbps. But average is 50 Mbps.

I have 25 Solaris which already enable MPxIO (multipathing). I monitor on SAN switch on 2 port which connect to server. I see around 1 - 2 Gbps sample every 15 min each port. In the same time, SAN controller port still show around 50 Mbps per port.

Please help to advise this.
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

I've read your post 3 times and I cannot understand what's your problem...

How much traffic do you suppose you should have on the FC ports then? Do the servers have high latencies (above 15 ms) when reaading or writting on the EVA LUNs?

If the servers have no high latencies then the EVA is serving all the resquests without delays, if there's no more traffic is because the servers do not demand it.

You should get some numbers, specially latencies, with EVAperf and forget about MB/s. In a typical EVA the limitation is the number of IOPS, not total MB/s (you have all connections at 4 Gbps, that's 400 MB/s per port, nobody reaches that).
Twatchai Saelao
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for your advise
My point is why SAN controller do not raise FC traffic to Gbps when do sync replication because port speed on SAN switch is 4 Gbps.
Because I monitor port on SAN controller on both site (DC and DR) which should be communicate between SAN system but do not use fulll bandwidth just use around Mbps.

That is my question and reminder on that point

If you have any point to mention, I will welcome on your suggestion
Twatchai Saelao
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for all