1751976 Members
4530 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA4400 cound't access viaCVE9.1

Dhananjaya Amarakoon
Regular Advisor

EVA4400 cound't access viaCVE9.1

I have a EVA4400 which is connected to C7000 enclosure via Brocade SAN switch.

Recently It have been upgraded to latest firmware as following.

Command view EVA - 9.1
Controllers -- XCS09522000
Disks -- Latest one
Management module -- 1.3
SAN Switch -- recommended version by HP
Management server contains Emulex FBA which used to connect to SAN switch.

In a few days ago I have encounter an issue which I couldn't access the EVA via CVE.
This heppend recently and it worked without issue after firmware upgrade also.
It says it couldn't find any storage system.
Even I click discover button, it couldn't find it. I checked the cables , reinstalled CVE in separate OS in same server but all failed.

Other servers are working fine which is LUNs are presented. Only CVE couldn't access the storage. Currently I am using CVE which is embedded to the Management module to access the EVA.
Also I have found following.

EVE9.1 and SSSU utility couldn't assess the EVA4400 but evaperf tool can access the storage system. when I query the commands via evaperf tool it display the query results.

Please suggest some ideas to troubleshoot this issue.

8 REPLIES 8
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

do you have Command View EVA 9.1 installed on the management module or on a seperate server?

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Looks like he can access from Command View on the management module but not from CV on a Windows server.

This is typically due to a incorrect zoning. EVAs 4400 need to have ONE controller port on each zone.

The only way out of this is to change the zoning and reboot both controllers.
Dhananjaya Amarakoon
Regular Advisor

Hi Vcespon.

you are correct. I can access CVE via management module but not from the CV on Windows

I have seen your suggestion from the one of document also . but Do you believe, if this is the case , then why is it worked previously without issue?
currently evaperf tool can access the eva.
By the way EVA is in one of customer site. I need to check on zone configuration there.

Thanks for ideas

Dhananjaya
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

It just works that way on current firmware. One day EVA stops responding to external CV, until you restart it.

Current advice is to use single-initiator, single-target zones.
Anthony Martin_1
Frequent Advisor

This is a known issue (I got bitten by this as well)

Emulex 8 Gb HBA Windows hotfix
If the management server is running Microsoft Windows 2003 and has Emulex 8 Gb HBAs installed,
HP Command View EVA 9.1 may not display any arrays. Emulex 8 Gb HBA with Windows 2003
requires the Windows hotfix KB945119 to support HP Command View EVA 9.1. To obtain the hotfix,
go to the following Microsoft website:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945119/
The title of the issue on the Microsoft website follows:
Stop error that is related to the Storport.sys driver on a Windows Server 2003-based computer:
"0x000000D1 (parameter1, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4)
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL".
This issue occurs only if Emulex 8 Gb HBAs (HP part numbers AJ762A and AJ763A) and HP Command
View EVA 9.1 are installed on the management server. If you are using the server for storage only,
not as a management server, you do not need to install this hotfix.

Hope this helps
Anthony
Dhananjaya Amarakoon
Regular Advisor

hi Anthony

My issue is something different than you have suggested. I know about the issue you mention and in my case EVA disappear suddenly from CVE9.1.

By the way this patch was already applied on this server.

Dhananjaya
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Yes, sounds like a bug in the controller firmware which requires a reboot of a/the controller(s).
Please do not forget to log a call with HP so that is entered into their problem + statistics database.
Dhananjaya Amarakoon
Regular Advisor

Hi..
Yea... currently I'm waiting for confirmation to the reboot. Points after tht.. :-)

Thanks for suggestions....

Dhananjaya