108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA4400 error notification

SOLVED
Go to solution
Shael Richmond
Frequent Advisor

EVA4400 error notification

Is there some command in SSSU that I can issue to check the status of the EVA? I'm just looking to get some indication that a problem has occurred. It doesn't have to be detailed.

Would LS DISK show something if a disk has failed? What about a controller issue?

8 REPLIES 8
Fran Garcia
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Hi Shael,

Right now I'm integrating SSSU output in our monitoring system. At first sight, this commands provide all the relevant info :

- ls controller full
- ls vdisks full
- ls licenses
- ls system
- ls disks full

You could also use the XML output of those commands, whoever it looks a little bit problematic to parse :-) .

From the documentation, I haven't seen any way to access controller logs from SSSU. I guess there is some other way involving the CV, but will need to poke around a little bit...
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Shael, you'll get much more information from the EVA event log. There are hundreds of things than can be happening on an EVA without a component being marked as failed.

Get the event log checked by someone with experience, or install IRS, so WEBES can check the events and perform some basic health checks.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> whoever it looks a little bit problematic to parse :-) .

Use an XML parser ;-)
CV-EVA and new EVA models have introducted new tags in the past that can be dealt with.

The output of the old 'SHOW' (predates the 'LS') command had changed with almost every new version of SSSU in the past, too, but it was a bit of work to track those little changes - fortunately I had added a unittest framework to my code that helped me not to break parsing old formats...
Fran Garcia
Frequent Advisor

> Use an XML parser ;-)

Definately :-) . However the ls commands seem to append non-xml text in every section and the whole thing looks overall messy for me. In addition I have to refresh my perl-fu so looks I'm going to be entertained for the following days :-D

----

Example:

Vdisks available on this Cell:
\Virtual Disks\CustomerName\LunGroup\db08_srwp_admin\ACTIVE information:

1E400710B4080560C05C0A00007000000000FE00
\Virtual Disks\CustomerName\LunGroup\db08_srwp_admin\ACTIVE

etc
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I've missed vcespon's response before I hit [Submit>>]. My answer dealt only with the way of parsing SSSU output if you want to create some reports or maybe do some basic checks.

I fully agree with vcespon that you should not invest too much of your time and rather use WEBES (as an end-user you will NEVER be able to implement all the knowledge that WEBES has in your own product!!).
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Fran, I didn't promise you a rose garden ;-)

I wrote some tips in this old thread:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1247567
Shael Richmond
Frequent Advisor

I am not looking for something complicated or detailed. Just a way for my automatic system monitor(home grown) to know that there is a problem and issue an alert. Once I know there is a problem I can look at it with Command view to see what the problem is.

I am responsible for several remote sites so I need to monitor all of them. These are VMS sites and don't want to bring in additional Windows software for monitoring.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Well, for _serious_ management, you need a Windows server running CV-EVA anyway. The WOCP (=management module) is not sufficient.
In that case you can put WEBES on the same system. It is not obvious, but WEBES goes beyond simple failures - just think about a disk drive that needs to retry certain operations. It has not failed yet, but can cut down performance.