108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA4400 internal ip 10.0.0.1/2/3

SOLVED
Go to solution
Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

EVA4400 internal ip 10.0.0.1/2/3

does anyone know if these internal ip addresses are supposed to be visible through the management module after it's ip has been changed (onto a different subnet)? When booted the 10.0.0.3 caused a conflict with another device on the LAN!! I thought these addresses were only used internaaly :(
and if so then can they be changed, customer is using 10.0.0.3 for their mail server (yeah I know Doh!)
Honored Contributor

Hello,

bad idea... Those address can't be used and they can't be changed. They are used for interal communication between WOCP and the controllers. Even if you give the management module another IP, these three addresses are used.

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

In my opinion the selection of 10.0.0.0/8 for the *internal* was a bad decision from day 1 and that (internal) network most not be exposed.

The first revision of the WOCP user manual makes even the following recommendation:
""Because HP EVA4400 storage systems are connected to your local area network, it is important that you configure the connection properly to ensure that your HP EVA system is secure. HP recommends that you connect to a private network, or configure it behind a firewall or proxy server.

The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) reserves the following IP address ranges for private internets:
10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255
""

So the user is even encouraged to use one of these networks.

The second edition adds to that:
""IP address restriction
IP addresses 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255 are not supported by the EVA4400.""

Wow, that is an easy to understand statement, isn't it?

The fourth edition - about a year later (February 2009):
""IP address restrictions
* IP addresses 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255 are not supported by the EVA4400.
* Do not use 10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2, or 10.0.0.3 as the IP address for the management module or any device connected to the management module. These IP addresses are used by the management module.""

After reading it for a few times now it sounds like the problem cannot be fixed by software because this incompetent module simply has no separate networks.
Armin Kerl
Frequent Advisor

Hi Greybeard,

I have same trouble by my Customer.
He is using 10.0.0.1 for his Gateway.
After connecting the ABM with 10.0.0.47 to the LAN he have a Duplicated MAC Adress on the Gateway. Funny!
The Gateway IP can not be changed, so the only Solution is to disconnect the ABM LAN Cable and using SBM.
Now we only connect the ABM direct to a Laptop for Troubleshooting and Firmware Updates.
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

another way is to put the WOCP into a VLAN and doing some kind of double-side NAT. Some firewalls can do this.

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

cheers guys, it's as I suspected, I still can't see why these addresses should be visible on the Management module's port if they are used internally (sound of gnashing teeth). Time to build a server with CV 9 and ignore the onboard CV module.

While being in the bath this morning (don't ask...) another problem was discovered:

You cannot have multiple EVA-4400 on the same LAN segment if the 'internal' IP addresses are exposed!

> Time to build a server with CV 9 and
> ignore the onboard CV module.

I agree that the damanagement module is no serious replacement for a separate server running CV-EVA, but in some situations you do need access to the WOCP functions!

That is the real purpose - not some slow, incomplete 'marketing' CV features.
Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

Cheers Uwe, blindingly obvious but easily overlooked, especially if the EVAs are next to each other, thanks for sharing your "Eureka" moment, ;)