6753 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA4400 with MDS9124e blade switch

Srdjan_2
Advisor

EVA4400 with MDS9124e blade switch

Dear all,

we encountered serious problem with EVA4400 and management server DL320G5 connected to CISCO MDS9124e blade switch wich is in blade enclosure. Problem is that Management server can't see any of 3 EVA WWNs thus does not see any of 2 HSV300 controllers. We use only 3 EVA paths since we have license for 4 external ports and 1 is spent on mgm server. When i log in to MDS switch through cli or Cisco Device Manager i am able to see all 4 connections, 3 eva WWNs and 1 management server HBA. We have two 9124e switchies and both behave identical. 9124e both came factory default so i done only initial setup. LED diods on EVA, on switch ports and basicaly everywhere are FINE. Connections are established but they cant see eachother. HBAnyware does not see EVA, neither CVE does.

All ports are in default VSAN 1.
All ports are F ports.
I fixed speed of ext ports to 4GB.
Disabled and enabled in-order-delivery IOD, nothing
Disabled and enabled load balancing src-dst-id, nothing.
I tried to fully disable zoning and also tried to put each port in separate zone,
i created also zoneset with 4 zones each hosting 1 of 4 external used ports. I done commit changes command! Nothing changed.
When i move conns to HP/brocade 2/8v switch mgm server see EVA and everything works fine.

Equipement details are>:

EVA4400 with latest 09006000 firmware (also tried 09004000 FW)
Management server is dl320G5/Windows2003R2SP2 with 4GB, single-port, PCIe Emulex HBA тАУ A8002A
We installed hot-fix KB945119 on server, patch is for Emulex HBAs
Comand View EVA is 8.0.2. Also tried 8.1.
Java is JRE 6.11

Switch is 9124e with 4.1.1 firmware, also tried 3.1.1 firmware. Four external ports are licensed and in license aquired state.

Suma summarum F ports canтАЩt see eachother!

Thank You for Your time.

Srkey
9 REPLIES 9
TTr
Honored Contributor

> When i move conns to HP/brocade 2/8v switch mgm server see EVA and everything works fine

Does your EVA come with the embedded SAN switches too? This may be the problem. When you use the HP/broade 2/8v switch it forms a single fabric with the embedded EVA switches whereas the 9124e do not. I don't know if an EVA with embedded SAN switches can work with a CISCO FC switch in general.
Srdjan_2
Advisor

We do not use embeded switchies, we have only 2xHSV300 with their default ports, 2 host ports for fabric and 2 device ports for disk shelfs, per controller.

btw, MDS9124e is officialy supported with EVA4400.

Thanks for reply

Srkey
TTr
Honored Contributor

You may want to check your zoning again. Unfortunately I don't use the Cisco switches, we are all brocade shop.
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
you could check the cabling if it is not crosslinked in the LC/LC connectors...
the pain is one part of the reality
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Sounds like a zoning issue to me.

The default access on Cisco switches is NO Access meaning... device A can not see or talk to device B, C or D.

The default access on Brocade switches is YES access meaning that even with no zoning.. all devices can see each other.

Try creating a zone. In the zone, include the port for the Management server and at least 1 port for one of the EVA's.

You can include all three ports for the EVA's if you'd like, but I suggest always having single target in each zone. Target = Storage Array or other type of Storage Device.

Now, I will assume you have a second Cisco 9124e, to host at least 1 port from the opposite controller for each eva and a second port on the management server. If the management server can not see both controller of the EVA, it will make life harder than you want it to be.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Milovan
Occasional Advisor

CSN EMEA little bit working and little bit not working. There, when working, you can find documents about setting zone on C-Series fabric switches. Document is: emr_na-c01646736-1.

Best regards, Misa.
predrag81
Valued Contributor

"Now, I will assume you have a second Cisco 9124e, to host at least 1 port from the opposite controller for each eva and a second port on the management server. If the management server can not see both controller of the EVA, it will make life harder than you want it to be."

Steven,

we don't have second management port on management server HBA. It's a single port, A8002A.

KR
Srdjan_2
Advisor

Thank You Steven,

putting EVA ports with host ports in each zone sounds like pretty good idea. I dont have quick access to equipement (it's in another town) but i will try that soon as possible. We also found something on putting zone in active mode, i did commit changes on creating zones and zoneset but i dont remember are they stated as active, nevertheless they are listed in sho run and sho zone output .

tnx again
Srkey
Srdjan_2
Advisor

Dear all,

we solved the problem. There are few steps>

Create zone and put HBA port with EVA ports in it.
INteresting part> put FC domain IDs of all ports in ZONE!! Wont work only with fwwn of ports, must put FCdomainIDs!
Create zoneset and put zone in zoneset
Activate zoneset.
Make sure active zoneset see proper zone config. If u add ports to zone after activating zoneset, deactivate and activate again.

Story about zoning is documented at few location but i did not find anything about this combination..

Anyway it works Now

TNX to all

Srkey