1748073 Members
5322 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA4K - XCS 5030 upgrade

Thomas J. Harrold
Trusted Contributor

EVA4K - XCS 5030 upgrade

I'm working with an EVA4000 that is running XCS 5030, and is stable, but I would like to bring it up to a supported version.

I currently have a single HP-UX host running 11.23 using storage on the EVA.   Currently running Commandview 6.02.

My understanding of how the upgrade will work:

5030-->5.10  (offline - unmount storage from host, but host can remain online)

5.10 --> 5.11 (??)

5.11-->6.11 (online)

Commandview EVA upgrade from 6.02 to 8.0 or greater  (new CV license key required)

6.11-->6.22 (online)

6.22-->latest (online)

Is my upgrade path correct, and are there any "gotchas"?  Is the 5030 to 5.1 offline upgrade safe?  Of course, we'll backup data beforehand, but any thoughts/experiences on data loss would be appreciated.

-tjh

I learn something new everyday. (usually because I break something new everyday)
4 REPLIES 4
giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

You should follow the document from SPOCK

http://h20272.www2.hp.com/utility/document.aspx?docurl=Shared%20Documents/sw/array_p6000_eva/p6000_eva_software_compatibility_reference_2012_06_11.pdf

it does not say anything about 5.030 to 5.10 even in older versions I could not find but from 5.1X you go up to 6.1X and then to 6.25  (page 13)

your problem might be getting the new command view license if you have HP support they should help.

You will have temporary 60 day license when installing new command view.

Also you should upgrade disk firmware when you finished upgrading the XCS and command view  use the HDD bundle expect some disks to fail after this.

Regards

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

"your problem might be getting the new command view license if you have HP support they should help.

You will have temporary 60 day license when installing new command view."

Do contact HP well in advance, it might take time to get the new license.

In addition to SPOCK you want to read the release notes and "Updating Product Software guides". These are available for each release note.

If it's possible for you, it may be easier to install a new CV server and stop using the old one, rather than upgrading. Newer versions also work virtualized (with some caveats..).

It's not good to run different versions of CV towards the same EVA at the same time.
Thomas J. Harrold
Trusted Contributor

With everyone out there using EVA's, I would hope that someone on the forums has gone from 5.03 to 5.1 or newer.

Thanks for the advice. I will have the new CV EVA license in hand before I start.

Good to know about possible HDD failures after firmware upgrades.
I learn something new everyday. (usually because I break something new everyday)
Thomas J. Harrold
Trusted Contributor

I hate spock. when HP can figure out how to make a reference tool that is less confusing than the technology it supports....I'll start using it.