New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA5000 2C18D plan upgrade with new bigger size hard disk

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sharjeel Saleem
Regular Advisor

EVA5000 2C18D plan upgrade with new bigger size hard disk

Hi,
We have EVA5000 2C18D with 146GB hard disk configuration. we are about to meet all available space. now we are planning to replace 146GB harddsik with 300GB. so we can create free space in our disk group.
please share the best available option to replace the 146GB harddisk by ONLINE process. we are trying to safe time from leveling process.

-Sharjeel
8 REPLIES 8
IBaltay
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,
one possibility is to ungroup the old disks in 8 in any DG, then replace them by 8 new disks in the same DG (disk mixture is allowed whilst not recommended from the performance point of view), this can be done online and after a while all disks in the DG will become the new disks. But the leveling will always be a part of a game. But leveling is a background process with low priority, so you should not be affraid from any front IO degradation...
the pain is one part of the reality
Sharjeel Saleem
Regular Advisor

Hi,
Yes, i was about to plan for it, but we need to confirm few points before we proceed,

1. we need equals to 8 hdd free space in this EVA?
2. we can perform another 8 disks ungroup during leveling process running?

Thx.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Technically, you can replace one disk drive at a time, but if you do that the EVA can 'marry' a small and a large disk drive for RAID-1 data. In that case you have lost half the disk space of the larger drive.
But that that is not sooo bad if you remove all small disk drives from the group anyway.

IBaltay suggests 8 disk drives at once to help the EVA optimize the internal storage organization (look for the magic acronym "RSS" in this forum ;-)
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
If you want to keep you RSS verticality, first of all you need to have the RSS map and then ungroup the whole 1 RSS from the DG and replace and group it with the new RSS (the default is 8 physical disk)

Yes, ungroup is separate/independent procedure from leveling whilst in rare cases of very small free space in the DG you can have problem of the leveling blocking the ungroup, so you should avoid the situation of the ungroup under the critical free amount of free space...

the pain is one part of the reality
Sharjeel Saleem
Regular Advisor

:s..so we can remove 8 hdd at a time or we need to remove hdd rss wise?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Technically, you can remove any one disk at a time - the EVA will reorganize the RSS; but they might not be optimal any longer. Remember that 8x146GB is a lot of disk space. You can only ungroup 8 disks (one at a time, please) if there is enough free space in the disk group.
Sharjeel Saleem
Regular Advisor

Hi Uwe,
Yes we have enough space atleast for releasing 8hdd at a time.
I didn't get ur point (one hdd at a time), u want me to ungroup 1 disk and let the leveling completed before second?? Or else. If yes then its time taken process to replace all 18 shelf hdd.please help another way.

Thx
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Sorry if I made not clear enough. What I wanted to say is that only one disk should be ungrouping at a time.
Check the disk's properties and if it reports that it is no longer grouped, you can ungroup the next drive.