HPE EVA Storage
1753393 Members
7047 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

EVA5000 works after power hit, but a server loses a drive.

Vague Assumption
Frequent Advisor

EVA5000 works after power hit, but a server loses a drive.

Granted that
1) I have a link light on the FC Card and
2) Other servers are connecting to volumes on the SAN just fine

Why would my server's EVA drive just disappear? There were two power hits: one at 11:30, and another an hour later. The MPIO driver loaded fine after the first hit, but not at all after the second.

Typing is wonderful for the thought process. I think I know what the problem is. Would anyone care to guess? No, seriously. I could be wrong!

4 REPLIES 4
Renz Malabanan
Frequent Advisor

Re: EVA5000 works after power hit, but a server loses a drive.

May I know how did you power on your EVA 5000??
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Have you looked in Command View if that vdisk is shown as available and presented to the host?

If it's available, try to unpresent and present it again.
Vague Assumption
Frequent Advisor

I recovered the drives.

I wrote a long reply, but thinking the system would work, I didn't backup the typing I put in the text box.

The web page stalled. Reply gone. :( Apparently not recoverable.
Vague Assumption
Frequent Advisor

At first I thought the problem was simple: the FC card in the server that lost the drive had become unseated or had 'oozed' out of its slot because of heating and cooling of the system.

Then I noticed that not only was the troubled system missing drives, but another system -- another, which had drives on BOTH of the EVAs, had lost some spindles. (There are two EVAs). On that other computer, the drives non-functional were on the same SAN from which we could not recover the the drives for the first server.

About the time I figured this out, the drives reappeared, as if by magic. It could have been magic, but it could also have been me moving one of the switches by about an eighth of an inch and restoring the connection of the other SAN to the fabric.

This is the short version of the data I lost yesterday or the day before when the text dialog box just decided to make itself unavaialble and destroyed my typing.