HPE EVA Storage
1752577 Members
4215 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA6000 moved disks 'Command View EVA has detected this array as inoperative'

homehome16
Occasional Contributor

EVA6000 moved disks 'Command View EVA has detected this array as inoperative'

We have two old EVA that we decommissioned a while ago. I have been asked to connect one of them up using all the large disk (500TB and 1TB disks) for our development department to use on a temporary basis. However when I discover the EVA using command view I get the error тАШCommand View EVA has detected this array as inoperative. Contact HP Service for assistance.тАЩ

I am guessing that the error is generated due to the metadata on the disks being from two different EVAтАЩs. We do not need the data that is on any of the disks so they could all be wipe clean. Can any one let me how I can scrub all the disks so I can create a new disk group. Or will I need to work out which disk were from which EVA and move all the original disks back? Then removed and add each disk one at a time?

Jo
9 REPLIES 9
McCready
Valued Contributor

Re: EVA6000 moved disks 'Command View EVA has detected this array as inoperative'

In this case, without any other information, I would

- make sure the EVA has the latest firmare

- make sure the disk drives have the latest firmware

- initalize the eva, thereby functionally wiping the disks and creating new metadata

I suspect you will only have to do the last step, but should do the first two.
check out evamgt.wetpaint.com and evamgt google group
homehome16
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the responce. I know that all the fireware is up to date as this was all updated before we decommissioned them.

Just one more questsion how do I re-initalize the eva. Is this an option that I can select when the EVA boot up?
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Good morning,

This is under the system options in command view - uninitialize array.
homehome16
Occasional Contributor

I can├в t login to Command View. Can it be done via the menu directly on the controller?
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Look under here in the OCP display (this varies between the firmware/XCS versions):

Shutdown options
Restart
RESTART SYSTEM? NO
Power Off
POWER OFF SYSTEM? NO
System Uninitialize
REALLY uNITIALIZE NO

I would recommend that you make sure that yuo have the WWN+checksum and serial number available of the EVA. Should be available on a sticker on the controller.
homehome16
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for this... We have the WWN and the check sum.. Will give it a go later on today.

Thanks again.

Jo
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Good luck :)

I would also recommend that you check over the backend cabling of the EVA, make sure that it is cabled correctly.

Check out this guide:

"HP StorageWorks 4x00/6x00/8x00 Enterprise Virtual Array hardware configuration guide (5697-7338, February 2008)"

on

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodClassId=-1&contentType=SupportManual&docIndexId=64180&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=470490
Clint Placette_2
Frequent Advisor

There maybe another issue here. You did not mention Command View (CV) version. If you are using CV 7.0 and higher you need a CV lic. If you don't have a service contract with HP you have to pay for it.

CV 9.01 and higher is now the only HP supported version.
Clint Placette_2
Frequent Advisor

What your experinceing is what I call double vision. Its the results of the MPIO driver not funtion properly. As long as you don't select the other unmount driver you are ok for now.

What version of MPIO are you running. You should have loaded FF DSM 4.0 and DSM MGR 4.1. The MPIO can be found http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=421494&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=421492&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4064

Once loaded you can go to control panel find MPIO there should be a listing of HSV contollers if not something is wrong.

Another thing you can try unload MPIO leave only one fibre connected and then reload MPIO.