108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA6100 - What is the best practice for adding new disks

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alpha_1_1
Valued Contributor

EVA6100 - What is the best practice for adding new disks

We have an EVA 6100.Currently it has one FC Disk Group.This consists of 24 450GB FC disks.We are going to add another 24 450GB disks to this group to increase capacity.
Can anybody point me toward Best practices for adding disks.
Do we add disks to the group one at at time and wait for levelling to complete after each disk is added.This would take forever I imagine
I have seen article's mentioning adding disks in groups of 8 or do we add all 24 disks at once so we just have one levelling action.
Are there any official HP articles or whitepapers on this subject.
GTS I&O - "In the Server Room, no-one can hear you scream..."
3 REPLIES 3
Sivakumar MJ._1
Respected Contributor

IBaltay
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,
the physical disks addition (not group into the disk group) rule is max 4 in one time, but preferably only 1 by 1 and wait for the each disk initialization (green LEDs).

for the DG group operation the best practices say that you should add the disks in 8 (RSS default). You dont need to wait for the levelling and after the successfull group of the first 8 disks, you can proceed with the second 8 disks.
the pain is one part of the reality
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> max 4 in one time,

Do NOT do that - you can end up with duplicate disk drives names - over the years I've found a number of EVAs with this problem. While it does not impact the data integrity, you will see inconsistencies (capacity wrong, missing disks) in the CV-EVA GUI.

> but preferably only 1 by 1 and
> wait for the each disk initialization

Agreed, but my recommendation is to wait until the new disk drive is visible in CV-EVA.