HPE EVA Storage
1753529 Members
5323 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA8000 Physical Move - Acclimatisation?

SOLVED
Go to solution
cmorgan091

EVA8000 Physical Move - Acclimatisation?

Hi all,

I am looking to physically move an EVA8000 between sites. Can anyone confirm if there are any specific requirements eg. acclimatisation periods for this array?

Some other manufacturers include these requirements in their documentation or within the warranty, but I have been unable to prove or disprove this with HP's documentation.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Chris
7 REPLIES 7
sreekanthtm
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Once you power OFF the EVA, you have to takeout the cache battery, because it may get faulty through discharge. Its a known issue in EVA. Technically you don't need to do anything else.
>>>eg. acclimatisation periods for this array?

No idea...

Rgds,
Sreekanth
cmorgan091

Hi Sreekanth,

Cheers for that tip, very useful.

Although it is primarily the acclimatisation period I am concerned about as this will impact the time it will take to migrate the storage.

Anyone else have any idea on this?

Cheers

Chris
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Chris:

You also should look into getting an HP certified mover and/or have the EVA re-certified for operation once it is in place at the new site.

You need to do this for supportability moving forward with HP and that particular EVA. (Usually).

Steven

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
cmorgan091

Hi Steven,

Thanks for that. Do you know if HP maintain a list of companies approved to undertake this work?

Cheers

Chris
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Chris,

Within the UK, you're probably best talking direct to HP. We recently moved an EVA5000, and they subcontracted the physical relocation work to Carry Gently. ( http://www.carrygently.co.uk ) HP provided engineers at either end, to do the power off/on.

With regards to the acclimatisation, I wouldn't have thought you'd need to worry overly, unless you're moving between extremes in temperature, which would be more likely in Winter than at present...

With regards to the cache batteries, you should only need to remove them if the EVA is going to be offline for more than a day or so, but do check that they are in a good status before you shut down. An EVA with bad batteries means no way to access any data.

Cheers,

Rob
cmorgan091

Many thanks to all of you for your help.

Cheers

Chris
cmorgan091

As discussed in thread