HPE EVA Storage
1748266 Members
3299 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA8000 with Vraid5 and Double Protection

EVA8000 with Vraid5 and Double Protection

Hi I wonder if someone can assist me I have a EVA8000 with 138 Disks in a Disk Group Configured on VRAID5 with Double Protection How will RSS Protect me and up to how many Disks will i be able to lose before being put into risk of Loosing Data
3 REPLIES 3
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Short answer: ONE

If two disks fail at the same time, without time to rebuild the RAID between one failure and the other, then it depends on which disks fail.

The 138 disks will likiley form 17 RSS, you can lose one disk from each RSS without losing data.

The "disk failure protection" does not provide any extra protection against **simultaneous** disk failures. It's mission is to reserve space to be able to rebuild as fast as possible once a disk fails. So the disk group is back to full redundancy as soon as possible.

After the RAID has finished rebuilding, you can lose another disk. But if a disk fails before that, it depends on which disk. You could lose the RAID 5 or the RAID 5 and RAID 1, depending on which disks fail.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

And despite the "Redundant" in RSS - it DOES NOT protect your data.

The protection (=redundancy) is provided by the VRAID-level.
Create a VRAID-0 virtual disk and you have ***NO*** protection against data loss from a disk drive failure -- no matter how many RSSes a disk group has and how high you set the so-called "protection level".

Thx for your help Guys much apreciated!!!