HPE EVA Storage

EVA8400 and 6400 policy memory address limit

Dan DOrazio
Occasional Contributor

EVA8400 and 6400 policy memory address limit

The 4400, 6100 and 8100 had policy memory address capacity limits. I recall reading somewhere that there is also a limit for the 6400 and 8400 (200TB and 300TB, respectively). Is this the case and if so can you point me to the information?
5 REPLIES 5
Víctor Cespón
Honored Contributor

Re: EVA8400 and 6400 policy memory address limit

It's on the compatibility reference, page 28.

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01942570/c01942570.pdf

It's 300 and 500 TB with the latest firmware.
Dan DOrazio
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate the quick response.
What happens when you have 2TB FATA drives? Will the limit increase again to accomodate the new drive capacity?
susanta_dutta
Trusted Contributor

Hello Dan,

Policy memory is nothing but physical memory DIMM inside the controller for execution of instruction sets(Same purpose of PC's RAM), But 120, 120, 300TB values are called maximum "addressable capacity" or "virtual mapping capacity" for EVA4400, EVA6100 and EVA8100 respectively. For an example, if you create two demand-allocated snapshots of a 10GB Vdisk, , though physically you occupied 10GB, but you actually occupied 30GB(10 + 2 X 10 ) virtual space. However this Virtual mapping capacity of an Array depends on how much Policy memory it has, but not on depends size of physical drive installed. With many number of larger disks you can soon reach the "addressable capacityâ limit.

Regards
Susanta
Víctor Cespón
Honored Contributor

Yes, the limit has been increased already respect to the one in previous firmware versions. It's a value on the firmware, not a physical limit. It will be changed if customers start needing more than 500 TB of virtual capacity (vdisks + snapshots + snapclones + DR Group log)
Dan DOrazio
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, this is how I understand policy memory addressable limits. I wanted to know if it was going to increase with 2TB disks being supported by many vendors. I anticipated HP supporting this on EVA with 2TB FATA or moving to 2TB SATA on the backend eventtually, and therefore the limits would necessitate going up with these new disks.