HPE EVA Storage
1752780 Members
6373 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Embedded CommandView Module on EVAX400?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Embedded CommandView Module on EVAX400?

Is this accross the board for the X400 series or just for the EVA4400 or those spec'd/ordered with it?

I notice our new EVA4400 had a non-Windows based CommandView and was told it's a module.

The HP FE who did the install however mentioned we still need a Windows Bsed ComamndView installation to perform EVA and Drive Firmware Updates -- Is this true?
Hakuna Matata.
7 REPLIES 7
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

The management module (also known as the WOCP - web-based operator control panel) is on top of the two HSV300 controllers in the EVA-4400 controller enclosure.

The EVA6400 and EVA8400 controller modules are based on the EVA8100 and do not have a management module - an external server is required.

Well, in my opinion you do need an external server as well for _serious_ operation of an EVA-4400, because a number of things (disk drive firmware upgrade, call home support) are not avalable with the WOCP today.

Oh, by the way: at least the early HSV200 (and I think HSV210) controller modules did have a LAN port, but there was no software for it and so it was covered by a piece of metal.
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Thanks Uwe..

Just found the CommandView site as well.
Hakuna Matata.
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Say... would an EVA8400 go circles around a 4Gbit FrontEnded 4 year old XP12000 under certain conditions?

In our shop.. the stigma of past EVA Flaws had left an indelible stigma that the edict is to have EVAs used mostly for non-production and Windows storage.

In my view however -- under certain conditions -- the EVA8400 can run circles around the XP12000. It just would not simply have the scaleability and performance perdictability of the XP/Hitachi platforms. Why? -- any single connected Server can "hog" the EVA8400's prowess. Do you agree? '^)
Hakuna Matata.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Yes, I agree. There is no 'one size fits all' and both arrays are playing in different areas. Let's face it: the Enterprise in EVA came from the original developers - the D|I|G|I|T|A|L StorageWorks engineering whose boxes grew up over time (don't misunderstand me: there is nothing wrong with starting small).

And I also heard about a customer whose XP went down during a firmware upgrade - without a backup, because those large boxes are usually quite reliable, aren't they?
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Do not scare me now Uwe!

;^))
Hakuna Matata.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Have no fear - I did not tell your XP ;-)
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Even if the XP12k is running for several years now, it is still powerful. It can have up to 68GB/s internal bandwith, 4GB/s disk drives, up to 224 host ports and 256 GB cache. The EVA need to run fast to get the circle ...

BTW, normally the firmware update on a current XP is totally non-disruptive - all host ports will stay up during this.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!