HPE EVA Storage
1748285 Members
3930 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Enabling a new zone on SAN switch has disbaled an already presented LUN's on another host

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fenny_1
Super Advisor

Enabling a new zone on SAN switch has disbaled an already presented LUN's on another host

Hi,

I have created a new zone on HP SAN Switch with these members:
1. Host HBA
2. EVA Controller A
3. EVA Controller B
Then i save the configuration on SAN Switch and then Enabled the new Zone on SAN.

After enabling this Zone, the already presented LUN's on another host became inaccessible.

Why is that? Did i made some configuration error?

6 REPLIES 6
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Re: Enabling a new zone on SAN switch has disbaled an already presented LUN's on another host

Hi,

can't say yet. What commands did you execute?
Did you create a new ZONE or a new CONFIG? If you created and enabled a new config, then the old config gets overwritten. Normally you create a new zone and add it to the exisiting config.
Can you capture the output of the cfgshow command on the switch and attach it as a text file?

Regards,
Stephen
Fenny_1
Super Advisor

Hi Stephen,

I first created a new ALIAS for host HBA WWN and then i created a new Zone adding the HBA WWN and both EVA Controllers. Then i created a new configuration and enabled it.

You mean to say i don't need to create a new config?

Am confused with your reply. If i won't create a new configuration then how can i add the new zone in the existing configuration.

Please elborate more. If possible with some HP Guide reference
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

So you created a new configuration and added only the new zone to it... Then it did not contain all the previously defined zones.

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01898181/c01898181.pdf

You should have used cfgadd:

switch:admin> cfgadd "Test_cfg", "greenzone; bluezone"

Then save that configuration, then enable that configuration. So the old zones keep existing.
Fenny_1
Super Advisor

Hi,

To be more specific, there should be ONE zone configuration in the Switch and all the Zone's will be added in it, Right?

One more question, Can i rename that ZONE CONFIG without disturbing the LUN Configuration. There's a RENAME option but i want to know the impact of it.

Waiting for reply
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

yes, there can only be one active (effective) configuration.
I think you can rename the config name using the zoneobjectrename command (or via the Web-Tools GUI)

It is important that you then save the config, and then enable it. Nothing changes in the SAN until you enable the config. It should not interrupt LUN access, as long as the new effective configuration has the correct zones in it.

Regards,
Stephen

Fenny_1
Super Advisor

Enabling the new configuration is the reason of the issue