8290 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Error:Cannot open exchanger control device (Unit is not ready) and

rafiqin
Occasional Contributor

Error:Cannot open exchanger control device (Unit is not ready) and

Hi,

I need your help here, really appreciate it.

I am having 2 problems here with my backups where most of them completed with failures and when i open the messages, the error that came out is

Problem No 1
"[Critical] From: UMA@mohrops.mohr.gov.my "HP:MSL G3 Series" Time: 11/24/2010 9:09:12 AM
[90:59]mohrops.mohr.gov.my : /dev/rac/c17t0d1
Cannot open exchanger control device (Unit is not ready.)"

Problem No 2
I try to unload/load the tape back in case that will help but then i noticed the front panel of my MSL4048 Tape Library is hang. It wont response to any button press and the drive 1 is in idle mode (we only have one drive).

Now im clueless here, to restart the machine will be the last option since it will need me to shut down all the servers connected to the eva first.

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
Bart VI
Occasional Advisor

Re: Error:Cannot open exchanger control device (Unit is not ready) and

Hi,

If the frontpanel is hanging you'll have to power cycle your MSL anyways.

I don't see why you would need to reboot your servers connected to your EVA when rebooting your MSL though. EVA and MSL should be entirely unrelated to each other, ALWAYS seperate disk I/O from tape I/O on your SAN!

PS: If you have windows 2003 zoned with your tapelib, make sure you disable the 'Removeable Storage' service and disable the 'Fibre Array Information' HP agent on those servers. Both agents can lock your library and make them behave like this, even though there is no hardwareissue.
Sivaramakrishna_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Error:Cannot open exchanger control device (Unit is not ready) and

Hi,

You can remove the power from Tape Library and apply power. Then do a rescan from Servers.

If the drive state is Idle it means that there is a tape in Drive, so please unload it to appropriate slot as it will casue issue as DP automatically try to load the catridge and as the drive is loaded it will through error like "Target Drive is Busy"