108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Eva DoD disk wipe

SOLVED
Go to solution
Johan Ronnqvist
Occasional Advisor

Eva DoD disk wipe

Hi I just got a task to do a DoD wipe an eva 8000 system some proliant server and some hp 9000 server that are being retired and sold.
The thing is I have never been fiddeling around with sans before and am sort of confused of were to begin. I tried to call hp support but as the warranty has expired for this system they couldnt help me.
The system has about 100 disks connected that i need to erase. I have some proliant servers that have disks connected so i was thinking of mapping up about 10 disks per server and wipe them at the same time.

So to my questions.
- Will the disks be available to the systems from the bios? or are they mapped to the systems from windows ?
- is the storageworks gui capable of reintitalize the eva and wipe the current config so that i easily can set it up my way?
- Is there a simple getting stardetd guide ? Or some sample configurations?
9 REPLIES 9
Rafael_31
Frequent Advisor

Hi Johan,

Can you please clarify more?
What are you trying to wipe?
If you are trying to wipe the entire EVA8K then just run the unintialize... ALL will be lost!!!

Is that what you want?

Thanks
Rafael
Rafael
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Hello, please see:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1168617
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1172224
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

>>> If you are trying to wipe the entire EVA8K then just run the unintialize... ALL will be lost!!!

I'm still wondering if this is fully true. For example, would HP be able to recover data if the EVA is uninitialized? Are disks erased or just the disk group metadata invalidated?

If I had to decide, I would uninitialize the Storage, initialize it again, create LUNs, present the disks, and run the shredding tools.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Johan Ronnqvist
Occasional Advisor

I want to make sure that there is no way of getting the data back from the disks, say if you uninitialize the disks there is propobly some way of doing som disaster recovery mumbo jumbo to get them back to the original configuration.
Im going to use whitecanyons diskwipe, I saw the post about dban earlier (but that will only allow erasing of one disk at the time) to sanitize the data from the disks by overwriting them with random data, the problem is as there are many disks and little time to do it, so I think im going with the uninitialize and the create some new disk sets that i mount to different computers and overwrite them with data and then uninitilize them again.
Johan Ronnqvist
Occasional Advisor

that second link didnt work.
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

You have the right idea. For a DoD type of disk wipe you need to uninitialize the array, initialize it again, create a disk group, add hosts, and create LUN's associated to the hosts. Then on the hosts run the diskwipe on all the systems for those LUN's. At the end you can uninitialize it and you will have a clean SAN.

Phil
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

My 2 cents..

Typical init functions only delete the config metadata..

A thorough scrubbing/shredding is needed and hence connectivity to an OS is needed to run the scrubber/shredder.

A low level format/exerciser would work as well as typically during write exercise a series of 1s and 0s is written completely overwriting any data involved.

Suggestion. Create a number of huge luns and present them to a server. Find a shredder on the WWW and sit back for a day or two.

Johan Ronnqvist
Occasional Advisor

That is propobly the way I'll try do it, but split up between serveral servers. To maximize the writingspeed to the disks.
MurphyJm
Frequent Visitor

hp diskwipe sanitize

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?lang=en&cc=us&swItem=vc_98567_1

unitialize/ re-initialize, create vdisks, present to host, run the program for disk wipe/sanitize/ unpresent/ un-initialize..

Good idea to present to multiple hosts and run the disk sanitize simultaneously