New Discussion юеВ

Re: Eva P6350 Fabric/Direct

SOLVED
Go to solution
StrangerFTN
Occasional Visitor

Eva P6350 Fabric/Direct

Hi,

I have run into a bit of an issue with my EVA.

It's a stock P6350 with 2 FC controllers (HSV340), FP1&2 on both controllers are tied into a SAN-Switch.

Now, we bought two new servers with HBA's and wanted to attach these by Direct Attach to the SAN-Controller (FP3/4).

Initially we read the Documentation and it seemed like it was supported (even though there were no mention of mixed environments).

We tried connection the servers to the SAN-Controller and switching the controller-ports to Direct Topology, but alas, the SAN does not seem to be willing.

So the question is, is it possible to get this kind of configuration to work, or will I need to purchase another SAN-Switch?

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
Jameo
Advisor

Have you tried changing FP3 and FP4 to direct and keeping FP1 and FP2 in fabric topology from WOCP and what the port status in switch for EVA ports when it is in mixed configuaration.

StrangerFTN
Occasional Visitor

Hi, 

Yes we have tried that, by deafault FP3 & 4 are looped with Direct topology. When we disconnect the loops and plug in the servers the following happens: Plug in, server HBA's senses the link-speed, the connection light turns black on the controller, when we go to the ports on the controller we can see that they have changed to Fabric-topology, when we try to change them back to Direct the controllers delivers a message "Link to switch failed" (the controller sometimes claim that the connection is "Good", but it continues to change back to the Fabric mode).

We have also tried running one of the controllers with just the Direct-patch to the servers on FP1&2 and just looping FP3&4, With the same result.

The controllers are both running the latest firmware.

Jameo
Advisor

What is the HBA model and firmware version?

StrangerFTN
Occasional Visitor

The controllers are sporting the following firmware: 

Version: 11001100  Build: CR21F9lesp-11001100 

The HBAs are Brocade 425/825, they work well if I route them through our existing SAN-Switch.

Jameo
Advisor
Solution

Direct connect support is not there from Brocacde 425/825 end, you can refer the link below (search for 425/825)

http://h20272.www2.hp.com/Content/ExportPDFView.aspx?Id=60543&typeId=2

StrangerFTN
Occasional Visitor

Well I'll be damned, sometimes one would think that the support for direct patch would be standard... well, thank you for the enlightenment :)