New Discussion юеВ

Re: Eva cache bateries failure

SOLVED
Go to solution
Oscar_Maim├│
Regular Advisor

Eva cache bateries failure

Hello:
I have a problem with a cache batterie module. In past days it was reported as failed. I thought that it was a problem with the battery, so I replaced the battery with a new one. But when I put the new one it was ok during six minutes, after that it reported failed state. I tried with others batteries that were working fine and the same occurs.
Another point: When I removed the first battery I observed that it had 3 dirty pins.
Greetings
Oscar.
11 REPLIES 11
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
here are the rules for the battery replacement:

1. Never remove batteries from the controller while it is powered down. Replace a cache battery only when the controller power is on.
2. Never install a battery that was previously failed by another controller. Failed batteries are to be returned or destroyed as described on the battery label.
3. You must remove both batteries from the enclosure before installing the replacement batteries. If one of the batteries is replaced while the other failed battery is still in the enclosure, the failure
may be propagated to the newly installed battery. Furthermore, removing both batteries resets the battery system status information on the controller.
the pain is one part of the reality
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

> When I removed the first battery I observed that it had 3 dirty pins

Not good. Sounds like at least one cell has leaked. It is possible that the liquid has moved into the connector and created a short-circuit. In that case the backplane connection or even the whole controller module need to be replaced.

> 1. Never remove batteries from the controller while it is powered down.

Except for some early XCS releases.
Oscar_Maim├│
Regular Advisor

"You must remove both batteries from the enclosure before installing the replacement batteries. If one of the batteries is replaced while the other failed battery is still in the enclosure, the failure
may be propagated to the newly installed battery. Furthermore, removing both batteries resets the battery system status information on the controller."

I only removed the bad batterie while the other was on the enclosure. It is ok, isn't it?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Oscar, tell us the EVA model.
Oscar_Maim├│
Regular Advisor

EVA 8000
VCS 6.11
Rampy(Venu)
Frequent Advisor

Hi Oscar,
During battery tests it might go amber.
XCS 6.220 has better battery test algorithm.
First try the firmware and if same issue persists then log a call and get the controller module and new battery.
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
one additional note:
Always check controller contacts when replacing battery

the pain is one part of the reality
Oscar_Maim├│
Regular Advisor

To check the contacts, Do I must call HP for support?
Greetings
Oscar
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The battery contacts on a _controller_ module are female-type and deep inside the module. I don't think that anybody can seriously inspect them *online* without an optical instrument.