HPE EVA Storage

Ex-SMA (EVA): high CPU on JavaWrapper.exe

SOLVED
Go to solution
S. Boetticher
Regular Advisor

Ex-SMA (EVA): high CPU on JavaWrapper.exe

Hi,

as CV90/901 was not installable on our old SMA-III I reinstalled it with Win2003 (to make it a general purpose Server) and then put on CV901, RSM50 and Webes/Remotesupport for Call-home.

from time to time the CPU-load goes to 100%, caused by Javawrapper.exe

I can kill it (I don't see any negative effects), then it respawns, and then later it goes up again to all cpu.

Any ideas?

it's c:\program files\hewlett-packard\smi-s\cxwscimom\bin\JavaWrapper.exe, 98.304 bytes, 28. January 2009

We don't need SMI-S, however because RSM50 requires it, we had to install it.
13 REPLIES 13
Frank Campagna

Re: Ex-SMA (EVA): high CPU on JavaWrapper.exe

Hi,

We are also experiencing a very high CPU utilisation from Javawrapper.exe since upgrading CV EVA from v8.02 to v9.01 & RSM from v4.0 to v5.0.

What issues or problems is the high CPU utilisation causing for your storage management appliance?

In our case, it causes a nightly RSM job to fail intermittantly but I'm not convinced it's due to Javawrapper's high CPU utilisation.

Regards,

Frank.
S. Boetticher
Regular Advisor

well,

as you we see from time to time RSM-jobs failing, and this with very strange time events in the rsm-job-log, I assume due to high cpu there is not eniugh for RSM to run properly.

What we did, we exchanged the 2,4GHz CPU of the original RSM with a quicker one, added a second CPU and enabled HyperThreading and changed the HAL to ACPI-MP. This way at least all other stuff on the SMA don't suffer from JavaWrapper due to enough free CPU cycles available ;-)

However, if anybody has an idea, how to fix that issue, please tell us
johnabonzi
Advisor
Solution

Hi,
Support have informed me that CV 9.1 will be released soon and it is fixed in that release.

Many Thanks
S. Boetticher
Regular Advisor

that's really good news. Please keep us updated.
S. Boetticher
Regular Advisor

How can I get CV EVA V9.1?

When I click here (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ProductList.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=471497&taskId=135) at the V9.1 E-Media its says that I can't get it that way.

And on software.hp.com Storage&NAS it also don't show it.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Well, most likely the software has not been released.

Or HP, again, is "very sorry!" and the site is "experiencing some difficulties" like the manuals downloads, sigh.
Frank Campagna

Hi Guys,

We ended up elevating a call to HP storage team and it appears the problem is due to volume deletions through SMI-S.

There is an issue with a background thread in SMI-S's SAL component where under a race condition during volume deletion the Javawrapper process goes into an infinite loop.

As a result, we have just been given a "controlled release" of Command View 9.1 which contains an updated SMI-S component. Although we have just upgraded CV EVA from 9.01 to v9.1, we'll see how our overnight scheduled RSM jobs go to determine whether it fixes the Javawrapper high CPU process issue.

Will keep you posted later in week after some thorough testing.

Frank.
S. Boetticher
Regular Advisor

well, I got over similar escalations also the CV9.1 before official release. At least our "heavy" RSM-day (Sundays, 25 jobs) worked now very well and javawrapper stays at 0% :-)
Let's keep the fingers crossed.

But still strange, that HP shows already the CV91RSM50 bundle when it's not released yet (I'm looking for release notes because I got just the installer-file).
Muthyala
Frequent Advisor

Hi

Please let me also what happened , i am also facing similar problem but i am using CV 8 .

TIA
Sri