HPE EVA Storage
1752304 Members
4939 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

FCIP gateway - getting "zone conflict" but can't see conflict?

Ann Ayson
Advisor

FCIP gateway - getting "zone conflict" but can't see conflict?

I'm trying to set up a FCIP gateway between my site and a remote site (using MPX110). At one site I have a 48000 Brocade Director switch, and at the other site I have a Brocade 4/32B switch. When I set up the FCIP route I can see the fabric's try to merge, but eventually I get a "E-Port segmented,(zone conflict)" for the ports on the switch set up for the FCIP gateway. I can't figure out what is causing the zone conflict. On the switch at the remote I site I cleared out all zone configurations (switchdisable, cfgclear, cfgsave, switchenable)..yet I still get "E-Port sgemented, zone conlict" when the fabrics try to merge. Both switches have different domain IDs, both are at the same level of firmware (6.0.1d-which supports the FCIP gateway), both ports for the FCIP gateways are set identically (and correctly). Both switches have the correct settings need for FCIP (aptpolicy 1, iodset). What else could it possibly be? There's nothing in the logs except the error "zoning conflict" (yeah, I know that)--the logs don't tell me WHAT is causing the zoning conflict. Anyone out there have any ideas???
10 REPLIES 10
RM782
Trusted Contributor

Re: FCIP gateway - getting "zone conflict" but can't see conflict?

Hi Ann, if you are using FCIP your ports should be VE_Ports.

The process for clearing a zone completely is:

cfgdisable
cfgclear
cfgsave

Wipes out zoning san wide though.
CLEB
Valued Contributor

I have this issue also. I have two switches connected together at a remote site.

One switch has an isl via two mpx110 gateways to another two switches. I am getting an E-Port segmented,(zone conflict) message.

I have shutdown the uplink ports from the upstream switch and done a switchdisable, cfgdisable, cfgclear, cfgsave. Rebooted the two mpx110, but I still have a segmented fabric.

Am I doing something wrong?
RM782
Trusted Contributor

Here is a link to the user guide if you don't have it

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01217690/c01217690.pdf

Also remember FCIP requires ports 3226, and 3225 available theses are required for Class 2, 3 and Class F communication
CLEB
Valued Contributor

Thanks but as far as I know the MPX devices do not care about zone configuration. They create a FC over IP tunnel only.
Pat Sullivan_2
Advisor

Try running the command "defzone --show".

If it shows "No Access", then this is likely the issue. With the newer firmwares, Brocade introduced this command to allow a switch to be configured to disable device communication when there is no zoning on the switch. When set to "No Access", the switch creates a hidden zoning config with a single empty zone in it, which effectively blocks devices from talking. It has the unfortunate side effect of preventing zone merges sometimes as well.

If this is the case on your switch, you can correct this by doing the following:

defzone --allaccess
cfgclear
cfgsave

Then try merging the switches again.
CLEB
Valued Contributor

Pat

Thanks very much, defzone no access was the issue.

I can't seem to assign points for some reason.

You'd have all points if I could.

Once again, many thanks.
Carl
compaqact
Advisor

Hi Ann,

I have just gone through this this morning. This is what I did to resolve the problem.

Exported the current alias and zone information.

TB1BROC4:admin>
TB1BROC4:admin> switchdisable
TB1BROC4:admin> cfgdisable

No effective configuration found.
TB1BROC4:admin> cfgclear
The Clear All action will clear all Aliases, Zones, FA Zones
and configurations in the Defined configuration.
cfgSave may be run to close the transaction or cfgTransAbort
may be run to cancel the transaction.
Do you really want to clear all configurations? (yes, y, no, n): [no] yes
TB1BROC4:admin> cfgsave
You are about to save the Defined zoning configuration. This
action will only save the changes on Defined configuration.
Any changes made on the Effective configuration will not
take effect until it is re-enabled.
Do you want to save Defined zoning configuration only? (yes, y, no, n): [no] yes
Updating flash ...
TB1BROC4:admin> configdefault
Committing configuration ... done.

Change the zone id to 5, 6 or whatever from 1

TB1BROC4:admin> switchenable
TB1BROC4:admin> fastboot

It all worked fine - and the FCIP gateways allowed the SAN switches to merge successfully. After that I recreated the zones required for site 2.

Hope it helps

Andrew
Ann Ayson
Advisor

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I had forgotten that I needed to do a "cfgdisable" in addition to cfgclear and cfgsave. Once I successfully cleared the configuration on the remote switch (made sure to "switchdisable" first!) I was able to get a link. Now I'm struggling with replication between the two EVA8100's. So far it's taken 16 hours to replicate roughly 150 gigs of data (sigh..). Of course this is the first copy to it's a fully sychronous copy. I sure hope the async copies are faster. Thanks again. I didn't know about the "defzone" command, this is a very good thing to know.
andyfang1985
Regular Advisor

I want to know the port which connect the mpx is E-port??