New Discussion юеВ

FW upgrade on Cisco san switches

SOLVED
Go to solution
inex
Super Advisor

FW upgrade on Cisco san switches

Hi,

Can fw upgrades be done online on Cisco 9140 san switches?

-inex
5 REPLIES 5
marsh_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: FW upgrade on Cisco san switches

hi,

no, AFAIK this is a single supervisor module switch and upgrades are disruptive , see here :-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/storage/san_switches/mds9000/sw/rel_3_x/release/notes/14116_05.html#wp217388

hth

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

On the other hand, you probably have at least 2 of them... and are configured in such a way so that you have 2 separate fabrics.

Upgrading one switch at a time should allow you to not have to take down your storage/servers, though it is always suggested that you perform these types of upgrades during peroids of low or no I/O.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Sivakumar MJ._1
Respected Contributor

Hi Inex,

Before start upgrading your SAN switches, take a config backup always

SOme related info on firmware upgrade..
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SupportTaskIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=371565&taskId=130
ffalcone
Occasional Advisor

Inex,

May I ask why you are only upgrading your switch FW? Typically, when I perform an upgrade, it involves the EVA Controller code, the EVA drive FW and the HBA drivers and FW.

Clint Placette_2
Frequent Advisor

Lot of good suggestion above. I ask my customer before an SW O/S upgrade is done "when was the last time you tested your fellover from one hba to another". If you have many servers in a SAN it is easy to lose track if a server has lost access of a HBA path.

I see it many time a year where the customer is not aware of a lost path. A Windows servers needs only a single path to still have access to disk so make sure you check each servers HBA paths and that your failover app is working before you attempt to upgrade a switch because it wil be disruptive on your model switch. If you have not tested a failover then I suggest you bring the servers down before the up grade.