1753550 Members
5613 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Failed VDisk on EVA cannot be deleted.

Vladimir Vlcek
Occasional Contributor

Failed VDisk on EVA cannot be deleted.

Hello, I need consultancy with following problem.
One physical disk failure caused failure of VDisk based on VRAID0 on EVA5000. The VDisk was created for some testing purposes and its failure means no problem. VDISK was a member of DR group and had its destination replication partner on second EVA. Problem is that Disk group containing failed Vdisk is now marked with red cross and reports Disk Group Hardware Failure. We know, that it contains several others Vdisk, all are running and are utilized. We tried to delete failed Vdisk, to change Disk Group status to normal, but it wasn't possible (no delete button is available). We tried to delete test DR group first, but operation finishes with error. We deleted replication parner Vdisk and DR group definition on the second side without problems. I seems that only allowed operation is to "Start deletion proces" at the Disk Group level, but statement in description mentions possibility of whole disk group deletion if HW failure will be recognized as severe. We know that VRAID0 based VDISK and its DR_Group are the only failed components. Can we be sure that situation will be correctly recognized by internal EVA processes and rest of the Disk group containing production disks will stay intact? Is there any other confirmation after clicking the "Start deletion process" to avoid whole Disk Group deletion? Screenshot of mentioned page in Command View is enclosed. Thanks for reply.

Vladimir
6 REPLIES 6
florence mathon lermusi
Trusted Contributor

Re: Failed VDisk on EVA cannot be deleted.

Hi vladimir,

try to make an ungroup of your physical disk...

Thomas Josuweit

Hi,

since there seem to be no answer/solution to your question I would like to ask you directly what you did do resolve your issue, since I am in exactly the same situation that you were in nearly a year ago.

Thanks

Thomas
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

The delete Vdisk button is under the disk group family name, not under the "ACTIVE" member - i.e. Click on 'Vd_TEST_DR' in the attached picture - not on 'ACTIVE'. Is this button greyed out in the CA situation you describe?
Thomas Josuweit

Hello Mark,

I know where the button is supposed to be but there isn't even a button!

The help sais that the button will only be displayed when the VDISK can be deleted.

Unfortunately I need to delete it anyway.

Any more ideas

Regards

Thomas
Thomas Josuweit

Hello all,

for anyone interested in this thread: We called HP for support and after checking logs and asking the right questions the support guy told us to press the button labeled "Start deletion process".

After 20 more seconds (the manual sais that the time depends how big the failed drives were) everything was OK again.

Thanks Juergen Nowaczyk from HP Germany for helping us with this one!

Kind regards

Thomas
Freddie L Milligan

I have no idea where the button the guy at the end was referring too and have this issue on an EVA5000 and can't delete the VDISK since it is in a group with other disks in the replication group.