4491 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Failing paths within SAN -> many 'enc out' errors

Kefear
Occasional Contributor

Failing paths within SAN -> many 'enc out' errors

Hi,
I am experiencing troubles with failing paths within my SAN (Promise Arrays, Brocade FC switches, HP blades with VC-FC). I've made some research and found that there is lot of (660k) 'encoding out of frame errors' on switch ports connected to the blade enclosure. I've also found that such error can be caused by cable/connector problem.
So we replaced necessary patchcords and even upgraded firmware of VC to the newest one. But it didn't help at all. We still experience repeating problems with this SAN.
Has anyone dealt with similar problems ? Any help will be appreciated.
Best
Wojciech Wojcik
5 REPLIES 5
Del_3
Trusted Contributor

I have seen this with older P-Class Blades that dont have an OS loaded. I cant say that for VC however. Enc Out is a Fibre Channel framing error and they should not accumulate rapidly.

Reseat the GBIC's/Transievers then clear your errors with "portstatsclear" and see if that helps. Could be bad Trancievers. Its not unusual to have Enc Out errors but they should not grow.

This is most likely a hardware related issue.

Do all ports have this error or only some?

Sylvain Mino

Did you resolve this? I have seen the same thing. I believe it is dependent on hba settings during boot, as long as the enc out errors do not increase continuously.
Kefear
Occasional Contributor

We didn't resolve it. HP replaced the old part and now everything works just fine.
Philip Immaraj

Kefear, what part was replaced? SFP or the cables or the whole switch. Or was it at the blade chassis end ?
thanks much.
Kefear
Occasional Contributor

They have replaced whole VC-FC module.