108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Failover in Command View 9.1

Manoranjan Reddy
Occasional Contributor

Failover in Command View 9.1

Hi All

I'm new to EVA.
Can anyone let me know whether Command View 9.1 allows failover when replication is suspended manually?

When i tried issuing failover command from Command View 9.1 Its giving error as "Error: Error cannot modify object properties. [Connection is suspended]"

It used to work fine with Command View 8.0
Any help is greatly appreciated..

-Manoranjan Reddy
3 REPLIES 3
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: Failover in Command View 9.1

I think that is a protection against losing data - this should not have worked before.

You might work around this (forcing a failover) by disabling communication between both EVAs, but it might be hard to do if a relaxed form of zoning was used. I recommend to use a separate zone just for replication traffic and not put two EVAs together in any other zone.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

As Uwe said, to be able to do a "failover" when the replication is suspended, you must break the communication between the storages. Depending of how you have your storage distributed, this may be easy.

Last time for example in our case, the destination storage was not active for any VDISK. This allowed to change the sanswitch ports and modify the zoning configuration to allow only the CV host and the storage communication.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
susanta_dutta
Trusted Contributor

As per CA Implementation Guide Pg No. 46 available at http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01800459/c01800459.pdf

├в A suspended DR group cannot be failed over and its members cannot be removed. Exception: if
intersite links (ISLs) are broken, a suspended DR group can be failed over.├в

Regards
Susanta