5888 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP EVA Continuous Access questions

Dips123
Advisor

HP EVA Continuous Access questions

Hi Gurus

I have configured continuous access replication groups for 2 EVAs. What I wanted to ask was, after the initial sync is complete, it shows me that the log is not in use and there is no way to know that the files that are written to the source disk are replicated in the production site. Please find below one test replication set that I've created. It shows that the logs are not in use. But if the replication has started shouldn't the logs be in use? Also if the source disks are thick provisioned, then do the destination disks automatically become thick provisioned or is there a way to create the destination disk as thin provisioned to save space? Lastly, if I have multiple disk groups at the source, for eg: OS, Database, VMs, and I replicate them, is there a way to create separate folders to categorize them at the destination EVA replication set?

Name   Role   Write Mode             Log State

Test     Source    Synchronous       Not in use

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,

4 REPLIES 4
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi, log while using synchronous replication will only be in use if the link between the arrays goes down.

giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

Logs are in use only in Asynchronous replication and if the link between the EVA's fails.

Thin provisioned disks are of no use as they can not be used for replication or snapshots or anything except as thin provisioned disks.

When you create replication by default disks are created the same as in the source EVA but you "must" choose in which disk group on the destination array to create them by default they are created on the largest disk group. You must also choose where to put the logs in the destination and source array by default they take 100GB in raid1 (that is 200GB of disk space)

for each DR group.

Regards

Press the kudos star if you liked

Dips123
Advisor

Hi Johann and Giladzzz

Thanks for your response.

Giladzzz, I am sorry I don't understand.

If the source disks are thick provisioned, does that mean that the destination disk can be only thick provisioned? Because although when I create a new replication group, I can see the option to select the redundancy level, disk group, log location for the destination disk. But I can't see any option to specify whether the destination disk can be thin or thick provisioned. So does this mean the source and the destination disk have to be provisioned in the same way? Because what I really want to achieve is for thick provisioned disks in the source to have thin disks at the destination to save space.
Also I was wondering if there is a way of categorizing different types of replication by creating different folders. So what I want to do is to create separate folders under the Data Replication for different replication groups, eg VMware, SQL, OS etc. Can this be done?
I thank you again for your help. I shall look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

thin provisioning in EVA is no good because you can not use thin provioned disks for "anything" that is you can only present them to a host but you can not do snapshots or replication on these disks.

usually you create a DR group from all disks of the same server or application. This is your catagorie you can not create folders under data replication.