5120 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP MSA2000i - Cable Configuration

mull
Advisor

HP MSA2000i - Cable Configuration

Hi,
next weekend we will expand our dual controller MSA2000i with two new shelfs.
In the HP cable configuration guide i found the config to connect to multiple drive enclosures.
HP explain that we need 2 mini-SAS to SAS cables and 4 HP Ext. SAS calbes (for 3 new shelfs). We have two new shelfs).
Questions:
1. In the package of the extension shelfs there are two cables per shelf. Is this an Ext. cable or mini SAS to SAS Cable?
2. Have anyone the correct configuration for cable config for two new shelfs?

Many thanks.

Mull
9 REPLIES 9
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

do you have dual oder single I/O modules in the expansion shelfs? Each shelf comes with two .6m SAS cables. You need mini-SAS-to-SAS from the controller enclosure to the first and last enclosure. Between the disk enclosures, you need SAS-to-SAS.

Check the MSA2000 documentation. I only found a "HP StorageWorks 2000 G2 Modular Smart Array cable configuration guide", but the non-G2 MSA should have the same cabling setup.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01755933/c01755933.pdf

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
mull
Advisor

Hi Patrick,
we have dual IO enclosures. There are four SAS connectors on the back of each enclosure.
Are the cables that are shipped with the enclosures mini-SAS oder SAS-SAS?

Many thanks for your answers.

Mull
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

you need a MSA2000i with dual controller, if you want to use dual I/O modules. The cables are SAS-SAS cables. You need mini-SAS-to-SAS from controller A to enclosure 1, and from controller B to the last enclosure. Between the enclosures you need SAS-SAS cables.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
mull
Advisor

Hi Patrick,

the MSA2000i have two controllers. So, Controller and Shelfs are compatible.
But im very confused about the cables. I dont know whether the shipped cables are mini-SAS or SAS-SAS. Thats the only fact i should know!
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

the enclosures is shippled (as you can read in the quickspecs) with two 0,6m SAS-SAS cables. For expansion you need two additional mini-SAS-to-SAS cables. For connection to the controller, you need to purchase mini-SAS-to-SAS cables.

For two additional enclosures you need

2x mini-SAS-to-SAS cables
2x SAS-to-SAS cables

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
mull
Advisor

OK. Thanks for your answer.

So, i need 2 mini-SAS cable. We have 4 cables here with hp part number: 361317-001. Can you say me whether this are mini-SAS-cable?
mull
Advisor

Hi again,

i have a look at our MSA2000i on the backside. There are no mini-SAS connectors but one each per controller normal sas connector.

It is G1 and G2 i think so have mini-SAS.
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

mmhhh, this is strange. Quickspecs of MSA2000i and 2000i G2 are telling me that both systems have a SFF8470 for expansion. This is NOT a mini-SAS connector. I found a interesting sentence in the Quickspecs of the G2:

"Older MSA2000i controller to MSA2000 3.5-inch Disk Enclosure or cascading two MSA2000 3.5-inch Disk Enclosures if included .6m cables is not of sufficient length."

It's a little bit confusing with this SAS cables, but I'm pretty sure, that you only need SAS-to-SAS cables in your case. Mini-SAS seems to be used to connect MSA2300 and/ or MSA70. You should call HP for clarification.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
mull
Advisor

Hi Patrick,

last weekend we expand our MSA2000i G1 successfully with the shipped cables. Thats "normal" SAS-Cables and it workes fine.
The FW-Upgrade was strange because i get an error-message over SMU and the MSA hangs up. Then i restart the MSA and try it again over telnet. Thats works fine and we have now the latest FW.

In the next step i will configure the Vdisks and volumes and luns. Then install W2K3 on a HP DL380G6 as Fileserver and connect over MS iSCSI-Initiator to the LUN├В┬┤s.