HPE EVA Storage
1752583 Members
5192 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP ProLiant DL380 Packaged Cluster with MSA1000 Setup Advice Please.

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

While the disk resources are on one node, the othernode will sometimes display "unreadable" in Disk Administrator.

Can you move the groups over to the second node? Right click "Cluster Group" in click Move Group.

If set up properly, you should be able to move the groups back and forth relatively easily.

Also, remember that if a group is active on one node... it will be "stand-by" on the other node.. in otherwords... not "active" on the other node. You should not see any "active groups" until you move them.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
BBasra
Advisor

Thanks for all your help. I'm just a newbie when it comes to SAN. I need to go on a course!
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

It's got nothing to do with SANs. 'unreadable' disks have always been existed in Windows clustering, e.g. when parallel SCSI was used. And even in 1996 when I used "Digital Cluster for Windows NT", before DEC handed it over to MS.
BBasra
Advisor

Experts, i need some more advice.

i want to be able to install IIS and be able to use both servers in active/active nodes so that i get both NLB and Clustering and have a shared model.

how do i do this?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

It's been some time that I have been sitting in a cluster workshop. What I got told is that MSCS and NLB are mutually exclusive (MSCS xor NBL - you can use one, but not both).

You might be able to get along with NLB and a shared file system by using extra products like Veritas Cluster server or PolyServe, but that is a bit out of my expertise, sorry.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Supposedly, you can not install MSCS if NLB is already in place and vice versa. I have not tested this and not sure if I can test it... maybe I can, will see.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
BBasra
Advisor

where can i see the configuration model?

can't set the configuration model to active/active, install and configure IIS and then the client connections can be distributed between the mulitple server nodes to provide NLB?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

If you are going to use hardware NLB, then you can probably do this.

Even though you can technically have an active/active MSCS, you still need to have separate data stores and you would need to have some way to replicate the data in realtime between them

You can not use Windows NLB and MSCS at the same time, Microsoft does not support it. Will it work? Maybe. I never tried.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE