5534 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP StorageWorks 400 Multi-Protocol Router

David.Dimbleby
Advisor

HP StorageWorks 400 Multi-Protocol Router

Afternoon.

Have 2 x new HP SW 400 MPR that we are trying to connect to an MSA1000. Connect the Server(s) via Fibre directly to the MSA1000 and everything works as expected and can configure via the ACU. If we try and go through the 400 MPR(s) we cannot see the MSA1000 controllers (or disks).

The Port Status lights on the front of the MPR are flashing amber for 2sec at a time, which the documentation suggests may mean that the ports have been disabled (Default?). I have run the portCfgPersistentEnable cmd and restarted to no avail.

Any advice appreciated - Current Fabric OS v5.3

Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: HP StorageWorks 400 Multi-Protocol Router

Do you have any zoning set up on the MPR's?

Default behavior on Brocade Fabric devices is to allow no devices to talk to each other.

Why do you have MPR's? and not regular SAN Switches?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
David.Dimbleby
Advisor

Thanks for the reply.

i) No zoning configured as yet, as I cannot see any devices to add to my zones.
ii) You have a way to enable devices to communicate via the Brocade? I haven't yet found one.
iii) Not sure about why they are MPR and not SAN Switch, think it was recommended as a solution to do with SAN to SAN replication - Same Brocade Web Tools interface as our other SAN switches so I guess it can do the same?

Thanks.
Bill Rothanburg
Trusted Contributor

The SW 400 MPR (aka Brocade 7500) and it's bladed cousin (FR4-18i) defaults its ports to persistently disabled. This was done to prevent fabrics from merging when the cables are plugged in.

Yes, this is different behavor from the other switches.
David.Dimbleby
Advisor

Thanks for the response. As detailed in my original post, I have already run the portCfgPersistentEnable command and it still does not appear to be working.
Bill Rothanburg
Trusted Contributor

A switchshow or portshow will tell you if the port is still disabled.

My experience is that a portenable still needs to follow the portcfgperistentenable when done via the cli (telnet/ssh) but not when done with webtools.

You may also need to lock the portspeed at 2GB or 1GB, depending upon the device. I've had some 2GB hbas refuse to sync up to a 4GB port when both are set to auto-negotiate.
David.Dimbleby
Advisor

The CLI portcfgpersistentenable was unsuccessful as was the portenable. The switchshow command revealed the ports were persistently disabled and could not be enabled. Logged in via the WebGui and persistently enabled the ports.