108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP StorageWorks Business Copy EVA Software - Evail or Trial Download

Jason Miles77
Occasional Contributor

HP StorageWorks Business Copy EVA Software - Evail or Trial Download

HP StorageWorks Business Copy EVA Software

Hello Community -
Two questions regarding Business Copy,, please help.

(1) How to obtain a eval edition of Business Copy? I have applied for and successfully downloaded: "HP_StorageWorks_Replication_Solutions_Manager_v5.0" but am not sure if this is correct?

(2) And second question, can someone give me a quick link or heads up on how to setup this eval edition of Business Copy to a EVA 4400?

Thank you for you help.
Jason

5 REPLIES 5
Niels Vejrup Pedersen
Respected Contributor

Re: HP StorageWorks Business Copy EVA Software - Evail or Trial Download

Hi Jason,

Business Copy EVAL is automatically included when you install Command View and initialize an EVA.

If you go to to the Licenses tab you'll see a 60-days Instant On license for both Business Copy and Continuous Access.

The Replication Solution Manager is really only for advanced scripting of these things, so for a single array most customers are fine doing things from Command View.

Regards,
Jason Miles77
Occasional Contributor

Hi.

Command View EVA 7.0 was installed 18 months ago and the EVA initialised. See Licensing below. Looks like it needs a License Key only to activate.

On the Production side of the array:
CV General -
Unlimited GB 25331.97 GB Valid
Business Copy -
Unlimited GB 0.00 GB Valid
Continuous Access -
Unlimited GB 6923.00 GB Valid

But on the DR side of the array:
CV General -
Unlimited GB 15995.02 GB Valid
Business Copy-
0 GB 0.00 GB Not licensed
Continuous Access -
Unlimited GB 6923.00 GB Valid

*What options do I have?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

It looks like you already have a license for Business Copy on your primary EVA, but no license on the DR EVA.

What are you looking to do on the DR EVA that would require Business Copy?

Typically, BC on a DR EVA is not as intensive and most customers opt to purchase a limited license since it is cheaper. You can buy a 1TB LTU for BC as well as an Unlimited LTU.

The question is.. what are you trying to do? What is the end goal?

Steven

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Jason Miles77
Occasional Contributor

I do apologise, OK, context: I have setup VMware Site Recovery Manager (SRM) to protect the Virtual Machines at the Production Data Center and in the event of disaster failover to Recovery Data Center.

As per the following article:
http://tiny.cc/8B75s, for testing purposes (not the actual failover) it seems both sites require a licensed copy of BC.

However I am not sure why the DR site would need to do snapshot process--for testing only purposes, but still investigating the process here.

Insert from Article above: Installing Licenses - HP StorageWorks Continuous Access EVA needed to create replication pairs and perform failover between data centers) and HP StorageWorks Business Copy EVA (needed to create snapshots during recovery plan testing) need to be on the HP EVA disk arrays at the protected site and recovery site.

So my intention is to setup a eval version of BC on the DR EVA and then begin the testing phase of VMware SRM to see if my installation is good. Then I will purchase the full version of BC, but need to know that the solution works first.
Jeroen_D
Regular Advisor

So for VMware SRM test scenario's you must have BC?

I know that the advantage is that during your test failover, that replication is still running. You are then using snapshots on the recovery site for testing.

However BC costs a lot of money and what if our customer doesn't care that replication is cut off temporarily?

Is it possible to have SRM stop replication and use the LUN's, as they are, for the test?