New Discussion юеВ

HP Storageworks 4/16 SAN switch console login problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
ramiss
Occasional Contributor

HP Storageworks 4/16 SAN switch console login problem

Hello,
I want to access the serial port of HP storageworks 4/16 SAN switch as I have attached the serial cable and the another end of serial port is on my PC but when i hyperterminal with the following configuration that is:

Baudrate: 9600
databits: 8
parity : none
stop bit : 1
flowcontrol : none

it is not showing the prompt...

I don't have the brocade cable delivered with the switch . I made one as 2 to 3 ,3to 2 and 5 to five as in the manual .

I am using windows XP might this be the problem
10 REPLIES 10
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Storageworks 4/16 SAN switch console login problem

Hi, you can try to login via the network cable - the default switch ip (if the switch was not used) is 10.77.77.77 via the telnet session with default user (admin) and default password (password) and do the needed config changes...
the pain is one part of the reality
ramiss
Occasional Contributor

The switch is not new it was having IP 10.172.179.28, I Do change it to 10.158.6.28 through web base, but by chance this IP was assigned to another machine , now i can't access it from any of these IPs ,I disconnect the other machine so that this one will pick but it also didn't work . I already tried the default IP but the IP that I get from Laptop is my PC DHCP (10.168.254.x)
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

ramiss,

try hard setting your laptop to the same address +1 of the switch and connect the laptop
and switch together directly via the rj45 port and telnet in that way.

good luck.

ramiss
Occasional Contributor

I tried connectin direct with +1 -1 and other around numbers to all IP addresses (10.77 , 10. 172 , 10.158 ,168.254), still I am not able access
Kirill Antipov
Occasional Advisor

Hello! I've already spent 4-6 hours trying to connect to my 2/8 via Serial. I've use different types of cables, settings etc. In the end I've luckily found HP Cable and the 1-st attempt was successfull! Seems to me that "Brocade Cable, 9600 8 none 1 none is the only one receipt. Try to find cable! It's grey, thin and round in section with RJ45-COM adapter. I've use XP hyper terminal. Good luck!
Oleg Mochkin
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi, cable must be straight (2-2, 3-3, 5-5), not cross (e.g. as for ethernet switches), see "SAN Switch installation guide"
BR, Oleg.
ramiss
Occasional Contributor

many thanks for support I had managed to do that , the cable should be 2-2 3-3 5-5 and it works
thanks to all of you
ramiss
Occasional Contributor

the cable should be 2-2 3-3 5-5 and it works
Khurram Shahzad
Regular Advisor

what do you mean by RJ45-Com adapter.