Set ip addresses.
I cannot access it by it's web page.
http://ip_address
Please help, thank you.
8 REPLIES 8
jorgen325
Frequent Advisor

Re: HP Storageworks SAN switch 2/32

I have two machines on the same network, one is connected via serial to the fibre switch.

I cannot ping the fibre switch.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Check your IP settings..

on the serial connection:

ipaddrshow

if you need to change it..

ipaddrset

what version of firmware are you running?

type version

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
jorgen325
Frequent Advisor

I did configure the IP, but I'll double check or even try changing it.

Kernel: 2.4.19
Fabric OS: v5.1.0d
BootProm 4.5.3

So there is nothing special to configure?
As long as my network connections are correct I should be able to get to it?

What is the Fiber IP address for?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Fibre IP is for IP based communications between the switches. Has nothing todo with LAN communications.

You should only need to set the regular IP, mask and gateway.

You may need to reboot the switch as well.. sometimes the IP does not take right away.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Just FYI, the *supported* versions for a SAN Switch 2/43 are 5.3.2c (recommended) and 5.3.2b.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> Fibre IP is for IP based communications between the switches.

It is used for managing remote switches (FCSW2) whose LAN interface is not directly reachable from the management station. The idea is that the Fibre IP is on a *different* IP network and you add a manual route that points to the LAN connected switch (FCSW1). The transfer to FCSW2 then goes 'in-band' via the Fibre Channel link.

Mgmt(LAN)->FCSW1->FC-LINK->FCSW2

It is *very* important that the Fibre IP is in a different IP subnet or be 'disabled'. Otherwise the switch's IP stack has routing problems, just like any other IP stack.
jorgen325
Frequent Advisor

That did it.
I did have Ethernet and Fiber IP's on the same subnet. Though that being a problem doesn't make sense to me. There's only one RJ-45 port, wouldn't that be a problem when going through a switch? We are vlan'd so I would think a different subnet would have a problem unless you add static routes... which you did mention.

Thank you for helping me get into my switch!
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Two interfaces on the same network, but on different 'segments' is a problem, because the IP stack does not 'know' on which segment the destination is. Some IP stacks seem to send packets in a round-robin fashion.

Using two different subnets for RJ45(LAN) and FC is not a problem, because then the IP stack then reliably knows where to route the packets.

You 'help' the IP stack in the management station by adding a static route to the IPFC subnet.

Now, FCSW1 receives a packet on its RJ45-port with a destination for the FCSW2 IPFC interface. It knows that it needs to send the packet out its internal IPFC interface and the packet arrives at FCSW2's IPFC interface.

When FCSW2 wants to send data back to the management station, it must understand to use the IPFC interface. So:
1. FCSW2's RJ45(LAN) interface must not be on the same IP subnet that the management station is
2. FCSW2's "default gateway" must be set to FCSW1's IPFC interface IP address.

The packet leaves FCSW2 IPFC interface and arrives at FCSW1 IPFC interface. From the destination address, FCSW1 can infer that it must send the data out of its RJ45(LAN) interface.

The packet finally arrives at the management station.

You can run multiple IP subnets within one VLAN/LAN segment.
Simplified: VLANs just create different LAN segments on 'one cable'.

If you want communication between different VLANs/LAN segments or different IP subnets on one segment, you need a router that has an IP interface in each segment/subnet.