HPE EVA Storage

HP eva 4400 OK to replace ungrouped failed disk while 2nd Disk failure is reconstructing

happygrl
Advisor

HP eva 4400 OK to replace ungrouped failed disk while 2nd Disk failure is reconstructing

We had a failed disk this morning in Enclosure 2, Bay 1. This HDD is now in the Ungrouped container.
When the DG started leveling, within a minute or two later a 2nd HDD failed. This is in a separate Enclosure 3, Bay 2. Data State on this is currently Reconstructing.
I know not to replace the HDD that is in the reconstructing state but what about the 1st disk that failed that is in the Ungrouped container? Can I replace that disk now or must I wait to replace both till reconstruction is complete?
I only have one DG full of 600GB 10K drives.

The DG protection level is Single (Double is requested). Once reconstruction is complete and 2nd HDD goes in to the ungrouped section, my DG should go back to Double protection, correct?
Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: HP eva 4400 OK to replace ungrouped failed disk while 2nd Disk failure is reconstructing

protection level means how many space is reserved for sparing. Single means the size of 2 disks is reserved, double means the size of 4 disks (2 disk pairs, hence double).

I would do nothing while the status is reconstructing, this is critical, there is no redundancy at the moment. Once reconstruct has finished, replace the disks and group them.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!