HPE EVA Storage
1748071 Members
5344 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Help best practice Eva 4400 and Sql server.

fra.arm
Advisor

Help best practice Eva 4400 and Sql server.

Hello,
I have an EVA 4400 with 14 disks 450GB FC and one diskGroup, the disks will be used by a Microsoft SQL Server 2008 installed on a VMware ESX host 4.1,the my question is this:
for performance issues, it is better to create many small LUNs where to copy the database/log of sql or there is a predetermined size? I read in the internet that are recommend a size between 250 and the 500 gb It's true?

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

It depends on how mnay VM's you are planning on having.

If you are only running a handful of VM's, you probably will not run into any issues have larger disks.

If you will have numorous VM's... then potentially having all of them (or a lot of them) hitting 1 or 2 disks could potentially cause scsi reservation issues, killing your performance.

1. How many VM's do you plan on having?

2. What is the largest disk space requirement for any one VM?

3. How mnay ESX servers?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
fra.arm
Advisor

Hi Steven,
thanks for the answer, I have only one server sql on a dedicated VMware ESX on one disk groups with 14 disks FC 15K.
In your opinion, to have a good performance, how many LUN (vdisk) I should create?Is better have many vdisk in one disk group?
The Storage Eva, optimizes small vdisk or is equal?
I have about a dozen databases, and the Microsoft best practices, recommended to separate all the databases on different disks.

Thanks
fra.arm
Advisor

Any idea???