108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Help me understand adding capacity

SOLVED
Go to solution
MCary1
Visitor

Help me understand adding capacity

I'm working with an EVA4400 that has 8 of the 12 bays filled in it's one and only Drive Array.  (A small setup).

I've been reading the documentation but I'm a bit confused about some of the fine points.

We are looking to add higher-speed drives in another pool.  Can I just buy 4 higher-speed drives to fill the remaining slots and configure them as another storage pool or do I need to add drives in multiples of 8, nessecitating buying another Array?

Price is a factor, so I'm trying to to figure out if using my last 4 open bays to create a small 4 drive pool is "ok", "not optimal", "won't work" or "a really bad idea"

P.S. This thread has been moved from General to Storage Area Networks (SAN) (Enterprise). - Hp forum Moderator

3 REPLIES 3
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

A new diskgroup needs at least 8 disks. You don't need another array, but another disk shelf.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
MCary1
Visitor

Thanks, that is what I needed to know.

Dropping $3000 on a storage enclosure will add to the cost of this, but it is better to know that going in.  I found the documentation a bit fuzzy on that point.  I probably wasn't reading the right stuff.

Am I correct in my understanding that if I want to add a 2nd disk shelf for a total of 24 drives I could split that into 3 disk groups of 8 each even if one group spanned the two shelves?

NSharon
Frequent Advisor

hi there,

Yes you could do that, the pre-req for a DG is a minimal of 8 Disks.

I work for HP.

If you find my Post Useful please click on the thumbs up!