1753451 Members
6007 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Help needed with EMC attach to K370

Simon Galton
Frequent Advisor

Help needed with EMC attach to K370

We need to use some space on an older EMC Symmetrix array, so I installed an FC card and cabled in the array. Hey presto:

fc 3 8/12 fcT1 CLAIMED INTERFACE HP Fibre Channel Mass Storage Adapter
lan 2 8/12.5 fcT1_cntl CLAIMED INTERFACE HP Fibre Channel Mass Storage Cntl
/dev/fcms2
fcp 3 8/12.8 fcp CLAIMED INTERFACE FCP Protocol Adapter
ext_bus 24 8/12.8.0.255.0 fcpdev CLAIMED INTERFACE FCP Device Interface
target 30 8/12.8.0.255.0.0 tgt CLAIMED DEVICE
ctl 9 8/12.8.0.255.0.0.0 sctl CLAIMED DEVICE EMC SYMMETRIX

Why are the LUNs not visible? It seems to be seeing this device as a "device" not an "array" as with the va7410 we have connected to a newer FC card on the same box:

fc 2 8/8/1/0 td CLAIMED INTERFACE HP Tachyon TL/TS Fibre Channel Mass Storage Adapter
/dev/td2
fcp 2 8/8/1/0.3 fcp CLAIMED INTERFACE FCP Domain
ext_bus 12 8/8/1/0.3.16.0.0 fcparray CLAIMED INTERFACE FCP Array Interface
target 0 8/8/1/0.3.16.0.0.0 tgt CLAIMED DEVICE
disk 44 8/8/1/0.3.16.0.0.0.0 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE HP A6218A
/dev/dsk/c12t0d0 /dev/rdsk/c12t0d0

Do I need to specify a different driver?
8 REPLIES 8
Simon Galton
Frequent Advisor

I did not specify -- the K370 is running 11i.
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Depending on the model of the EMC array, will be dependent on how the connectivity is done.
If it is say an 8530, you may have to deploy either and agent to the host so that the ECC console can see it, or using SYMCLI commands specify to the disk array itself what LUNS this host is allowed to see.
Without knowing a little more about your environment I could only guess.
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Simon Galton
Frequent Advisor

The EMC is an older Symmetrix model 5430/18 (?).

In the past no special utilities were needed on the server to see the LUNs. In fact, we have a K570 running HPUX 11.0 and the same old Tachyon FC interface cards seeing the LUNs on the system now, it's just the 11i K370 which does not... :(

Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

I neglected to ask, is this directly connected to the disk array or via a brocade switch. Seeing you can the a single device indicates that your communicating with the gatekeeper device. You might like to run the /opt/fcms/bin/fcmsutil /dev/td? to see what information this returns.
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

What HBA are you using?
If it's a A3404A it only supports private loop.
In order to use private loop you either need to connect directly to the Sym, use an FC Hub or a Brocade switch in "quick loop" mode and set the Sym port to fabric off and loop.

If this is OK.
Do you have "Volume Logix" installed on the Sym? If yes you need to allow access!

Cheers
Peter
I love storage
Bernd Reize
Trusted Contributor

Since you only see the .255. sctl Pseudo and no real Disk Devices it is most likely that the connection and/or Port settings are incorrect.

If you use direct connet / Arbitrated Loop please verify if the AL_PA is correctly set at the Sym FA or otherwise, if fabric, verify the point-to-point Flag on the FA.
Second you should check if the port settings are correct for hp, ie. VirtualBus Address Mode is enabled.
Simon Galton
Frequent Advisor

Thanks, folks.

I am indeed using the A3404A in a direct-connect configuration.

Methinks the array is masking the LUNs, as all seems well otherwise... :(

nnf97
Regular Advisor

If you have symcli installed on the HP box, you can run #symdev list, this will show you all the devices which are configured on the symmetrix.
All the devices which have a ??:??? in the listing are not visible to the host you run the command from.
Also, if you have symcli ver 5.0 or higher, you can run symmaskdb list command to see the devices which this host can see.
And if you dont have symcli installed, you could download 'inq' from the EMC ftp site, and that will show only the internal devices on the host, and the devices which are visible to the host from the symmetrix. At that point you can compare the inq and the ioscan outputs to verify that you are all set.
Live Free or Die (New Hampshire)