1753381 Members
5616 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Help with Configuration - P2000 SAN

MKarolitzky
Occasional Visitor

Help with Configuration - P2000 SAN

I've just inherited a SAN implementation, and I didn't order the hardware, someone else who is no longer here did.  And they can't be bothered to be reached for comment...  So I need a few pointers, as I am also new to SANs, but have been in IT and around servers for over 20 years...

We have a P2000/FC/ISCI setup, with a 8/24 switch.  There is also 2 DL380G7 servers to be attached, and installed with XenServer Enterprise.  In the storage unit are 6 450GB 15K drives, and 6 2TB 7.5K drives.  Single HBAs for the servers.

The company's planned implementation is for SQL2008R2 x64 bit cluster.  It is unknown if other systems will be installed, but with the XenServer licenses, it seems likely that others will be.

What I've been trying to figure out is what was the planned implementation with that type of storage setup.  The company I work for was just told what to order, and I haven't been able to locate anyone here involved with any discussions of the design.  All I can figure is that the 15K drives are for the SQL storage?  And the 2TB drives are for the VMs (including SQL) for the 2TB?

I know this is vague, but I don't have any idea as to what they were thinking when this was put to them to order.  So if anyone has done anything remotely similar, I would love to hear about it.

Any help is greatly appreciated, as I can't even begin to figure out how to set this system up until I get this portion figured out.

Thanks!

Mike

3 REPLIES 3
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi!

I think a good start would be to have a look in the SMU (the web interface of the P2000).

In there you can see which vdisks/volumes have been created, and to which hosts that they have been presented.

MKarolitzky
Occasional Visitor

Is it factory setup?  This is an out-of-the-box install.  I racked these myself.

Thanks

Mike

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

So? As far as I know the bar P2000 don't come pre-configured with any vdisks unless you maybe get them through a re-seller..