1752585 Members
4471 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Help with setting up an EVA 5000

TimoI
Occasional Advisor

Help with setting up an EVA 5000

I am currently doing an internship in a very small IT firm and have been tasked with setting up an EVA 5000 system. It was removed from the production network of another company and delivered to us completely disassembled and unfortunately, the paper (or rather, rough sketch) describing how it was set up there was lost. My boss has no prior experience with such systems so being a novice, I have had to read through a dozen or so manuals to figure out how to assemble it. Now I've hit a brick wall.

The system came with the following components:

- 12 HP StorageWorks FC drive enclosures

- 2 hsv110 controllers

- 2 HP SW SAN 4/32 switches

- 2 HP SW SAN 2/16-EL switches

- 2 HP FC loop switches

- SilkWorm 200E switch (with 50-0000083-01 REV.B Volex-OS 05 04 serial-to-Ethernet adapter?)

- HP Openview Storage Management Appliance III

I have thus far connected the drive enclosures and controllers according to the manual and confirmed they are working correctly. I am now trying to connect the controllers to the management appliance.

- How do I  establish a connection from my computer to the management appliance? I have connected to it via Ethernet (tried both the iLO and regular Ethernet ports) but I have no idea what the IP address is. Not only that, but I'm not even sure if it's possible to manage it on a Windows 7 system and a recent version of Chrome. The manual only mentions Windows XP and browser versions from 10 years ago.

- I have currently connected the controllers to the management appliance with 2 LC-LC cables using the FP1 ports of the controllers. Is this correct?

- I also initially tried to use the management appliance directly by connecting a monitor and keyboard to it, but got no video signal. Is this supposed to happen? The management appliance was provided as-is, meaning it is still running whatever the previous company had on it.

- Now the big hurdle: how am I supposed to connect the SAN switches to the rest of the system? I have a whole bunch of LC-LC cables for that purpose, but the manual doesn't explain anything past how to connect the controllers and FC loop switches. What would be the optimal way to do this?

A picture for reference. The management appliance is located in another rack.

http://i.imgur.com/LTO0J1Q.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11
giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

you need a lot of information I can help with most of it.

1) If the managment appliance ILO is " on board" you can reset it from the console set new IP and username password

if it is a separate card (was on first models) there is a hardware reset and default user name password on the card or I think you have a DIP switch to by-pass security. but you need username password for the OS was windows 2000 on first machines.

2) its important if the EVA is working and Initilized ( you have name and WWN blinking alternatly on the panel)

if not you will not have licenses. and that meens you can not make it work. only if the version is very old than you can use it with out command view license.

3) you need to "zone" the EVA with the managment appliance ports so it can manage the EVA.

4) I hope the brocade switches username password are default if not this might be a problem (you only need two switches to start with).

If you need anything else I can help

Regards

TimoI
Occasional Advisor

Hi, thanks for the help so far. 

1) I will check this on Monday. What do you mean by the console, is there a physical button on the device?

2) The EVA came with licenses, so that should not be a problem. 

3) How is this achieved? 

4) Not sure about that, but we can always contact the company to ask for the passwords. I know the extra switches are not necessary for operation, but it would be a waste not to use them when all the hardware is there and the only thing lacking is the knowledge how to set everything up. 

giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

1) console I meen for managment appliance connecting screen mouse and keyboard. also if the applance is installed from original image the local administrator password is something like admin"and last five numbers or letters of appliance serial number reverst".

2) the licenses are on the EVA if it is intionlized that is you see the EVA name and WWN blinking alternatly.

3) zoning is like VLANS in fiber it enables who see what you can cancel zoning and then everyone sees everything this will work but its not best practice.

4) try and get what ever information and passwords from were you got your equipment.

Regards

p.s. if you nned anything write me a message

TimoI
Occasional Advisor

The thing is, I get no signal when connecting a monitor to the management appliance. Tried two different monitors. Reboots didn't help. The ILO/Ethernet ports do light up when I connect a cable to them though.

giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

Is the ILO a separate card or is on board if it is separate connect to the video keyboard output on the ILO or take the ILO card out of the server.

you don't need the managment appliance to manage the EVA you just need a windows server connect to fiber and command view installed on it

Regards

TimoI
Occasional Advisor

The iLO is integrated. Right now I want to figure out its IP address, but like I said, I can't get a video signal no matter what. If I install CV EVA on a Windows Server, won't that require purchasing an additional license?

giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

No the command view installation is not licensed the license is installed on the EVA and you get a 60 day evaluation license for everything when you install a new server.

but you need the correct version of command view according to the EVA version.

can you send me the EVA version you can find it from the panel.

and you havn't answered about the state of the EVA (is the panel showing the machine name and WWN alternatly).

Regards

TimoI
Occasional Advisor

Yes, the controllers display their names and the WWN correctly. I suppose I'll go with installing CV EVA 9.4 on a Window Server 2003 server then, since that seems to be the last version that supports EVA 5000. I know about the 60 day evaluation period, but I was wondering what I need to do after that. This system will be added to the production network eventually, so I figured that using the management appliance would be the best way to do this, since I wouldn't have to deal with any new licenses.

Edit: turns out we don't actually have a spare server to install Windows Server on. Back to the management appliance it is.

giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

If as you say the EVA is working all licneses are on the EVA and you don't need to worry about that

you can use the managment appliance if you get it working install windows 2003 and command view

and everything will work.

Is the EVA at version 3.110 or 4.10 do you know?

Regards